Proxmox install on Mac Mini Server mid 2010

MMartinez

Renowned Member
Dec 11, 2014
Hi,

I'm trying to install Proxmox on a Mac Mini Server and I have some problems.

I've failed to do the installation with proxmox 3.3, 3.2, 3.1. The setup complains that there's no disk.

I've been able to install Ubuntu 14.04LTS and Debian Wheezy, so I've followed the procedure to install Proxmox on a Debian Machine from: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Wheezy. It works fine until I install the pve-kernel-2.6.32-26-pve and I try to boot it. I get the following messages on boot:

ata1: COMRESET failed (errno=-16)
ata2: COMRESET failed (errno=-16)

It seems that there's a problem with the sata controller drivers, and probably the same problem affects to the Installation 3.3 (and 3.2, and 31) CD. But, if I install the 3.10 pve-kernel from the Proxmox repos the system boots fine.

Would be possible to compile the sata drivers in the next 2.6.32 kernel release? I can give you the output of lspci, or whatever you need.

The output of lspci on the 3.10 kernel says that the sata controller is:
00:0a:0 IDE interface: NVIDIA Corporation MCP89 SATA Controller (rev a2)

I need to use the 2.6.32 on this node because i want to run OpenVZ virtual machines on it.

Thanks in advance,

Manuel Martínez

Last edited:
Reactions: LeLuc
Hi,

I'm trying to install Proxmox on a Mac Mini Server and I have some problems.

I've failed to do the installation with proxmox 3.3, 3.2, 3.1. The setup complains that there's no disk.

I've been able to install Ubuntu 14.04LTS and Debian Wheezy, so I've followed the procedure to install Proxmox on a Debian Machine from: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Wheezy. It works fine until I install the pve-kernel-2.6.32-26-pve and I try to boot it. I get the following messages on boot:

ata1: COMRESET failed (errno=-16)
ata2: COMRESET failed (errno=-16)

It seems that there's a problem with the sata controller drivers, and probably the same problem affects to the Installation 3.3 (and 3.2, and 31) CD. But, if I install the 3.10 pve-kernel from the Proxmox repos the system boots fine.

Would be possible to compile the sata drivers in the next 2.6.32 kernel release? I can give you the output of lspci, or whatever you need.

The output of lspci on the 3.10 kernel says that the sata controller is:
00:0a:0 IDE interface: NVIDIA Corporation MCP89 SATA Controller (rev a2)

I need to use the 2.6.32 on this node because i want to run OpenVZ virtual machines on it.

Thanks in advance,

Manuel Martínez
Hi Manuel,

Old post .. But I try .. maybe yo are still active somewhere .. ;-)

I have an old mac Mini Mid 201, as you have/had, where I want to install the latest ProxMox ... if this is fasible .. ;-) I just found your post ... and wanted to come check with you, if you finally managed to install any ProxMox version on this mac Mini ?

Just signed up to respond to @LeLuc
I’m not having any luck with 2010 5,1. I can’t boot to the Proxmox usb installer drive. Bootable drives with other OS’s work fine just not Proxmox. When I try with the Proxmox bootable usb stick, I get a gray screen every time. Not a timing issue. Not an issue with the option key or keyboard (though I definitely had that problem originally- before figuring out that moving the keyboard to the usb slot towards the center allows the Option key to work).

Found this video showing success on a 2012 6,1 but there are others in the thread that are have the same issue I am seeing.

I may try with my 2012 MM to see if the bootable drive is recognized there.

youtu.be/qe4yxiTRyoM

Hi Oxmox,
Thanks for your post .. I was able to go the other way around .. as the grey screen also kept popping up at my MacMini Mid 2010 .. So debian, plu slater proxmox install did the trick .. I also have a late 2012 MacMini .. and this one worked like a charm with the ProxMox USB boot ....

So all good at my side ...

Greetings from Luxembourg,
Luc

Yeah, the 2012 MM worked flawlessly for me as well l. I found a post where someone got the 2010 to boot to Proxmox via DVD and was about to try that but ended up deciding to run Proxmox on the 2012 which is probably what I should have done on the first place. This is my first experience with Proxmox so I wanted to experiment first but this forced me to go all in and see what the 2012 can handle. I just ordered RAM to max it out.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!