Proxmox inside Hyper-v 2012 R2 - CT networking

Leon Bollerup

Jan 23, 2017
Hi there,

I'v searched thru the forum but without much luck.

I have a setup (dont ask why) at a customers grid where they want to run CT containers in proxmox.. inside a hyper-v setup - its used for internal development and testing.

Proxmox installs fine and the PVE itself have network.

However, the containers (latest ubuntu) dosent get any DHCP address.. setting a static dosent help either.

Could anyone point me in the right direction ?

Thanx.

//Leon

i don't know anything about hyper-v networking, but does it allow network traffic from other MAC addresses than the one specified?
maybe you need to enable something there?

Hi,

Already checked that part - it seems to work on 3.5.x (openvz) .. but not under 4.x (LXC) .. so i dont think its hyper-v issue... seems more like internal routing

Hi,

Already checked that part - it seems to work on 3.5.x (openvz) .. but not under 4.x (LXC) .. so i dont think its hyper-v issue... seems more like internal routing

Did you ever find a way to solve this? I'm seeing the same thing and this seems to be the only instance of someone talking about it.

Edit: Since this thread was bumped and to be clear; I'm trying to nest proxmox in hyper-v on windows 10, hyper-v is 10.0.15063, the vm is gen 1 with a legacy network adapter. The vm itself has network access but something about the bridge to the proxmox guests seems to be causing the issue.

Last edited:
In case someone comes across this like I did, the solution was to enable MAC Spoofing in the VM's advanced network settings. Hyper-v was blocking traffic that didn't have the guest mac. I mistakenly thought the setting had to do with changing the VMs mac given it's location in the GUI. Hope that helps.

Reactions: Michael.Uray
In case someone comes across this like I did, the solution was to enable MAC Spoofing in the VM's advanced network settings. Hyper-v was blocking traffic that didn't have the guest mac. I mistakenly thought the setting had to do with changing the VMs mac given it's location in the GUI. Hope that helps.
JohMC, thank you for being a good person and leaving this comment. It fixed the issue for me. You're amazing!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!