Proxmox incompatible with watchdog package?

srs

Nov 5, 2018
I am trying to install proxmox and openmediavault in the same system, but omv depends on the watchdog package, and installing watchdog removes proxmox.

Is there any way around this? I'd rather not virtualize omv...

I don't have an answer to your question, but why not virtualize OMV ? (at least the OS portion of OMV?)

I have a 4 node proxmox cluster which has both local storage (spinning drives and SSD) and central storage via two FreeNas machines which provide VM storage over ISCSI multipath + CIFS for backups & ISO storage.

I have three instances of OMV running within the proxmox cluster. All virtual and using different combinations of storage.

instance 1) All local to proxmox node 2 with the main OS virtual and two spinning disks passed through directly to the VM
instance 2) All local to proxmox node 4 with all disk virtual (I actually have the docker plugin running on this one just for testing)
instance 3) All disks including the OS connected via ISCSI - this one setup using HA and moves from node to node

My Proxmox hosts: Dell R710, 2x R620, 1x old custom built LGA1366 system. In each machine I have a hardware raid card running with 1gb cache presnted to proxmox as one single disk. Spinning disks setup as raid 10 and SSD setup as raid 5. About 100gb or ram in each system. All have dual 10Gb SFP+ Nics; Standard EXt4 format with LVM thin for local vm storage; ISCSI multipath for central storage ... setup as either LVM on proxmox or entire lun passed directly to VM

I guess what I am getting at is that the performance from OMV in any one of the scenarios is pretty good.
Definitely hits full gigabit speed ...... not full 10gb, but that is a different story ...hahaha

Depending on the OMV instance, I have different plugins running and they all work fairly well. Before I switched my central storage to FreeNAS, I used to have two OMV systems running. Now that they are virtualized, I can't tell that much of a difference in performance...... just in available storage space :)

This server is going to primarily be a file server with ~20 disks, so I want OMV to have full hardware access to get all smart values, temperatures, spin up / spin down disks as needed. As well as omv plugins to do snap raid, etc without having to go though a virtualization layer or dealing with passing though so many devices.

You may want to look at passing through the entire HBA (I assume with that many disks you are using an HBA or maybe HBA + Expender).
Your data disk attached to the HBA will be passed through directly to OMV. The OMV OS would reside on a virtual disk within proxmox. This would give you some benefits such as snapshots.

You would essentially run proxmox with a OMV VM. PCI passthrough of the HBA to the OMV VM. You can go a step farther and pass the NIC through if it is SR-IOV capable....

I have thought about doing this in the past, but I have not actually tested this. However, I may try this on spare system ..... just to see how it works.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!