Proxmox hardware specifications for hosting SQL database

universcine

Aug 28, 2013
Hello everyone,

I have to migrate a virtual machine (roles: several sql database i7) under vmware esxi to a Proxmox Server 3.0

Currently seveur vmware hosting the virtual machine is an HP server with 16 GB of ECC ramm and i7

15 users will be continuously connected to this databases

So I made a supermicro quote that contains this equipment:

- 1U SC813MTQ-R400CBK - 2xPWS-406P-1R 4x 3.5 "SAS / SATA 1

- Motherboard X9DRL-EF - ATX - S2011 - iC602J - 8x DDR3 - 2x LAN - VGA

- CPU E5-2620V2 - S2011- 6 core - 2.1 GHz - 15 MB - 7.2 GT / s - 2 80W

- Intel S2011 passive heatsink (MB-X9DRL)

- RAM 4 GB X 12 DDRIII 1600 MHz ECC Registred KVR16R11S8 / 4

- Dual power

So, I sent the quote to the provider that manages the database sql i7 and CSA response here on this quote:

"Hello,

I'm not a fan of this configuration.

Server disks for the database are more to choose between 10 000 and 15 000 rev / min, 7200 are for desktops.

What RAID controller card is planned? with cache? size of the E / W caches?

Dual power: ok.

4TB per disc = much loss in RAID 1 and / or RAID 5.

4 slots of Discs: BDD limited for a server that will grow by including GED documents.

I highly recommend the hardware manufacturer HP or Lenovo / IBM or Dell rather than assembled for this type of configuration for which you will not have to type CarePack HP solutions. This material will bear all the activity of CML and Blackout ...

I recall that the virtual machine server (VMWare or similar) has prerequisites for host server machines!

http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php

I can offer you a suitable configuration HP if you like: if we have chosen to sell this brand is that it brings complete satisfaction for a long time and the CarePack system is particularly effective, even over periods of 5 years.

It is certainly slightly more initially ... but over time ... "

What do you think of that answer?

Best regards !

As a supplier of services and hardware I would offer you the same approach. I would not be happy to sell or host/Support a custom made Server for you.
As your Boss I would ask you to find a solution for your use case, which does not cost to much and gives me the same functionality.

You need to ask yourself the right questions to get a propper solution - balance between costs and benefit.
1. Is your Database Application Business Critical ?
2. What happens if the custom Build server is down for some reason (Hardware i.e.) - Can i live with that or can the 15 employees live with an unsupported solution, which is maybe down for several hours or days ?
3. What is the risk if ....

In our company we do not use custom made servers, which host business critical applications. Nor we host SQL Databases on virtual machines - exception, the load on the Database is low and performance is not key. you never get the same performance on virtual machines for Databases, especially if we talk about good loaded MS SQL Databases. For heavy used DB's we allways use dedicated database Servers. I might be wrong, but this is our political and phylosophical balance ;) . If your DB load is low then you are fine and a VM can do a good job.

Your HW proposal looks good to me anyway :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!