Proxmox Firewall + MAC Filtering / Broadcast Traffic

Ashley

Jun 28, 2016
Hello,

I have the Proxmox firewall enabled cluster / server wide:

1/ I am looking at enabling some form of baisc MAC address spoof protection, I have had a look at what other solutions use (which is ebtables), is this the best method to use with Proxmox or is there a way I can make use of the Promox Firewall?

2/ I have noticed alot of broadcast / multicast traffic between VM's coming from the shared bridge, again seems other solutions are making use of ebtables, again is their a better way to do this within Proxmox Firewall or should I stick to ebtables?

An example of another solutions method:

Bridge chain: kvm248.0, entries: 6, policy: DROP
-p IPv4 --ip-proto udp --ip-sport 67:68 -j ACCEPT
-p IPv4 --ip-proto udp --ip-dport 67:68 -j ACCEPT
-p ARP --arp-op Request -j ACCEPT
-p IPv4 --ip-src ***.***.***.25 -j ACCEPT
-p IPv4 --ip-dst ***.***.***.25 -j ACCEPT
-p ARP --arp-op Reply --arp-ip-src ***.***.***.25 -j ACCEPT

Hi Ashley ,

1. One of the best spoof protection is to use something like pppoe(point to point over ethernet). You can find decent (cheap) hardware switches who can offering a pppoe server.
Another option could be to setup static arp's in your network.

Hi Ashley ,

1. One of the best spoof protection is to use something like pppoe(point to point over ethernet). You can find decent (cheap) hardware switches who can offering a pppoe server.
Another option could be to setup static arp's in your network.

I already have protection at the switch level, I guess I mainly mean at the Proxmox KVM Bridge level, which is where ebtables comes in to restrict at the bridge level the traffic, I have noticed the MAC Filter option within the Proxmox VM Firewall, but not sure exactly what it is doing, as I know it is not touching ebtables.

Anything with MAC protection is nothing. Anybody can put any mac on any interface. For this problem pppoe is the king :) And for this reason any good ISP use pppoe!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!