[SOLVED] Proxmox does not start if the external hard drive is unplugged

The problem is that I don't even have an SSH connection. I took a picture of this when I plugged it into the TV.
1727453028732.png

OK, thanks.
Maybe it messes with the boot order ?
So boot up with the HDD plugged in and then try to remove the disk from everywhere so linux does not look for it when booting. Remove every entry of it in /etc/fstab or if mounted by systemd in the unit file.

Reactions: OUARZA
In file /etc/fstab, I have
Code:
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
/dev/pve/root / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
UUID=B3D5-D41D /boot/efi vfat defaults 0 1
/dev/pve/swap none swap sw 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0

UUID="9cf62735-3da9-4f5a-9391-6dae6867def5"     /mnt/storage1   ext4    defaults       >

I just delete this line ?
Code:
UUID="9cf62735-3da9-4f5a-9391-6dae6867def5"     /mnt/storage1   ext4    defaults       >
Should I do something on this line
Code:
/dev/pve/root / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
?

Regarding systemd where should I look?

yes only delete the line UUID...

No do not edit the one /dev/pve and so on!
maybe make a copy before you delete just in case...
cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.old

you do not have to look at a systemd file, the drive gets mounted via fstab at boot time and since it is missing - linux does not finish the boot up.
So make a backup of the fstab file, delete the line with UUID ... and then reboot.
Then you are good to go.

I commented out the line with # and indeed, it works now after a reboot.
Thank you very much.

Can you tell me if I was required to do this?
My original idea was to have an external hard drive plugged in via USB to make backups of Proxmox on it.

you are welcome!

maybe just mount the drive when you need it, copy the files to the drive and then umount the drive again.
let chat GPT write a script for that so its easier to do.

Yes, I see. Since it's a hard drive that I had put in to automate backups, it had to stay plugged in.

You can add "nofail" option , that way if the disk is not there the boot will continue:
UUID=your-disk-uuid /mount/point ext4 defaults,nofail 0 2

You can also research automount option, so that disk is attempted to be mounted on access:
UUID=your-disk-uuid /mnt/your-mount-point ext4 noauto,x-systemd.automount 0 2

Note, this is not Proxmox specific. This is basic Linux system management.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Last edited:
Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!