Proxmox ceph cluster networking ideas

cheath94

Feb 12, 2020
I am somewhat new to clustering and best practices when setting up networks for clusters. I'm wanting to setup a proxmox cluster with ceph and preferably as budget friendly as possible. This will be used for homelab use but, will also be serving critical services like Plex. ;) I have a Freenas box which will hold all of the "user" data and the cluster will only serve up the VM's and containers. I have the ability for 4 LFF drives and 2 SFF drives. I was wanting to start out with 1 SFF SSD as the OS boot drive, 1 SFF SSD for journal drive, and 2 LFF spinners for OSD's per node.

I have 3 identical nodes. The specs are as follows
Supermicro X8STi-3F boards
Each board has 2 on-board Gig nics
I also have 3 intel x520-da2 10gb cards

I do not have a 10gb switch and most are probably beyond the budget, so i was interested in doing a mesh network as described in the wiki.

The next option is to buy three 4 port network cards and use a gigabit switch for the related networks. I'm kind of at a loss on where to go with the network to maximize bandwidth and future upgrades using the hardware I currently have. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Well, my advise would go in the direction of:
  • think about the electricity cost, heating, noise
  • you want ECC because of long running services
  • maybe Ceph is overkill, ZFS (+pvesr) may be an alternative

Alain, fortunately electricity is not that expensive where I live, but I have low power CPUs to replace the power hungry chips as well as some bios settings to bring the power usage down a bit.

All of these machine have 24GB of EEC ram.

from my research it seems as though live migration is not as seemless when using ZFS compared to Ceph.

All of these machine have 24GB of EEC ram.
May not be enough memory for good running Ceph. 4 GB memory limit by default per OSD and MON, OS, backups may want some memory too.

from my research it seems as though live migration is not as seemless when using ZFS compared to Ceph.
True, but a shutdown / startup for a migration may not take that long. And do your VM/CT really need to be always-on?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!