Proxmox Backup with RDX

bmende

Apr 2, 2013
Hi,

I have a question regarding Proxmox 2.x Backups: Is it possible and/or recommended to do backups on RDX drives?

Does anyone have experience with SEP One on Proxmox Systems? We would like to run that on our Proxmox VE Host.

Regards,

Benjamin

Hi, we use RDX drives on different servers. But one thing you must know. If you dont umount the drive an press the eject button on the driver longer as 2 seconds and the drive is mounted, you get a kernel panic.

I swear I'm not a shill, and you should really look into High-Rely disk-based backup systems.

For virtualization you should probably look at networked devices. RDX is a local interface right? Block device passthrough in KVM is questionable stability in my opinion. You are defeating the hardware abstraction by using passthrough.

I wrote a comprehensive blog post on their SATA 2-bay device, I'd love to hear how the network attached versions work...

Simple, cost-effective hardware, and great support (spoke to a lead engineer for 20mins just joking around and throwing ideas at him).

Having looked at RDX, I just found it to be too complex, proprietary, and poor value.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!