[SOLVED] Proxmox-backup-client (partially solved)

no.

...but Fabian's answer is somewhat right. PBS is (for now) a Linux thing.
We've discussed a similar thing for Borg Backup and a GUI for that here, but came to the decision that, as long as there're no native Windows application(s), there is no chance - but is solvable by realizing all that by using Windows' WSL and a Debian container.
Better that than nothing. Or use Linux for your desktop...means an easier live and better backups :)

We've discussed a similar thing for Borg Backup and a GUI for that here, but came to the decision that, as long as there're no native Windows application(s), there is no chance - but is solvable by realizing all that by using Windows' WSL and a Debian container.
Better that than nothing. Or use Linux for your desktop...means an easier live and better backups :)
I use linux, i'm sysadmin from 1993. Only Linux. Do you remenber the 0.93 version? . My question was not a simple 'do it". I use proxmox from the first 0.* Version and contributed with many courses and addition that are, now included. 400 installations and more. I asked only about the possibility of compiling it or creating a linux version usable on other distro than Debian. And i'm probing creating a static binary.

This is all, don't smile about my consideration.
For now i use an external mount point on a Buster but the solution is not good for me.

But i'm working on the possibility yo create a static version.

Ciao, Diaolin

Pbs is a linux thing but i asked about the client.
Did you read?

Don't feel offended. Nobody is smiling about your consideration.
And yes, I've read what you've written. "PBS is a Linux thing" is meant as well as server side and as client side..at least currently.

No problem, but your consideration was about using linux on the desktop.
I use ONLY linux from 1993.
I think the first course on Proxmox (i made 20 courses about proxmox was the course i made in 2007 in Maj in Trento Italy.

I know the problem about linux and i know that we should port the client side... is necessary withouth using wsl

For the moment i mount the "windows data" on other samba machine and i backup it quick.

THe rest is on proxmox itself and i don't need any port.
The included version is sufficient

Ciao, don't worry i'm not offended but i will explain my position about this.

Diaolin

You're welcome. And I'm very sure too that there could be a quite need for a native PBS client for Windows desktops. Having some customers for myself with a mixed setup (PVE, PMG, PBS and some Linux servers/container, Windows desktops) and my thought were going to the same (your) direction: "Would be very nice to have a PBS client for Windows to do this and that!".

just to clarify, as mentioned on the roadmap [0], we plan have the client available for other os (distritibutions, etc) sooner or later, but it's a complicated topic and there are many things on our plates
windows especially is complicated since there are currently many things in the client which assume a linux os and even things such as file permissions, etc. are completely different in windows

0: https://pbs.proxmox.com/wiki/index.php/Roadmap

just to clarify, as mentioned on the roadmap [0], we plan have the client available for other os (distritibutions, etc) sooner or later, but it's a complicated topic and there are many things on our plates
windows especially is complicated since there are currently many things in the client which assume a linux os and even things such as file permissions, etc. are completely different in windows

0: https://pbs.proxmox.com/wiki/index.php/Roadmap
Perfect

Hi, is there any progress on this? We also have a bunch of servers running old debian/ubuntu that we would like to backup to PBS.

Hi, is there any progress on this?
Note that the original question was about Windows, the answer for both is still no though.

We also have a bunch of servers running old debian/ubuntu that we would like to backup to PBS.
The PBS CLI client is available from Debian 10 onwards, it works also on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS onwards.
Older distros won't get retroactive support, while one theoretically could get it to build on older platforms, at least with lots and careful of modifications to strip it to the bare minimum, it's just not worth the effort; at least ours - especially as Debian and Ubuntu have both tested upgrade paths which need to be exercised soon anyhow, as Debian 9 Stretch is out of ordinary support for a while and the best-effort LTS is ending soon too.

If placed in VMs or Containers they can naturally get backed up already, since the VM operating system then no longer has any influence.

thanks Thomas for the reply.

The final PBS CLI client is a single binary built from rust, or it has a lot runtime dependencies?

From the official PBS doc:
A client CLI tool (proxmox-backup-client) to access the server easily from any Linux amd64 environment

so I expect it's not intended to work only on debian 10 / ubuntu 20.04 and later.

The final PBS CLI client is a single binary built from rust, or it has a lot runtime dependencies?
It's a single binary, with some linkage dependencies (see below). The stable-1 of the PBS repo branch needs rustc in version 1.46 or newer, that may be hard to get by as easily installable, pre-build package on those older systems.

Bash:
ldd /usr/bin/proxmox-backup-client
        linux-vdso.so.1 (0x00007fff545dd000)
        libfuse3.so.3 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libfuse3.so.3 (0x00007f2a2d809000)
        libssl.so.1.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl.so.1.1 (0x00007f2a2d776000)
        libcrypto.so.1.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcrypto.so.1.1 (0x00007f2a2d482000)
        libacl.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libacl.so.1 (0x00007f2a2d477000)
        libzstd.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libzstd.so.1 (0x00007f2a2d39c000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 (0x00007f2a2d1d7000)
        /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00007f2a2e157000)
        libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x00007f2a2d1bb000)
        libpthread.so.0 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0 (0x00007f2a2d199000)
        libm.so.6 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6 (0x00007f2a2d055000)
        libdl.so.2 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdl.so.2 (0x00007f2a2d04f000)

Some of those are from the C library (libm, libdl, libc, ld), then the important ones are acl, openssl and zstd, the fuse3 (which is relatively new and not available on, .e.g, Debian 9 stretch) dependency is for some features that are not relevant for backup itself, so could be ripped out.

so I expect it's not intended to work only on debian 10 / ubuntu 20.04 and later.
Well it works on others and older versions, we just won't put in the not so low amount of work for free to compile and test it there for users, as the unsupported systems in question are already EOL or close by, and as the user can (and has too, if they want continued security support) just upgrade anyway it's hard to find a compelling reason to bother.

But just like with the arm (aarch64) port that is partly maintained by the community, we can try to assist on specific questions.

thanks for the quick response, much appreciated.

one more question please: in order to backup let's say a directory from a host, is this single binary proxmox-backup-client sufficient? Or do I need also some other tools?

one more question please: in order to backup let's say a directory from a host, is this single binary proxmox-backup-client sufficient?
As long as that binary can run it is sufficient on its own, no separate executable or the like required, for file-level (host) backup.

See the docs for how it would then be used: https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/backup-client.html

I tried to follow the build instructions in proxmox/proxmox-backup: Proxmox Backup Server and Client - read only mirror (github.com)

but got stuck at step 6 in the Build section (long log below). I am on a minimal debian 10 system. Do I need to do the steps in the previous sections:

rustup Toolchain​

Versioning of proxmox helper crates​

Local cargo config​

?

Code:
root@74e2b7f76cf4:/mnt/proxmox-backup# mk-build-deps -ir
dh_testdir
dh_testroot
dh_prep
dh_testdir
dh_testroot
dh_install
dh_installdocs
dh_installchangelogs
dh_compress
dh_fixperms
dh_installdeb
dh_gencontrol
dh_md5sums
dh_builddeb
dpkg-deb: building package 'rust-proxmox-backup-build-deps' in '../rust-proxmox-backup-build-deps_2.1.4-1_all.deb'.

The package has been created.
Attention, the package has been created in the current directory,
not in ".." as indicated by the message above!
Selecting previously unselected package rust-proxmox-backup-build-deps.
(Reading database ... 34398 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack rust-proxmox-backup-build-deps_2.1.4-1_all.deb ...
Unpacking rust-proxmox-backup-build-deps (2.1.4-1) ...
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Correcting dependencies...Starting pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 1
Starting 2 pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 1
Investigating (0) rust-proxmox-backup-build-deps:amd64 < 2.1.4-1 @iU mK Nb Ib >
Broken rust-proxmox-backup-build-deps:amd64 Depends on dh-cargo:amd64 < 24~bpo10+pve1 @ii mK > (>= 24)
  Removing rust-proxmox-backup-build-deps:amd64 because I can't find dh-cargo:amd64
Done
 Done
Starting pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 0
Starting 2 pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 0
Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  rust-proxmox-backup-build-deps
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 10.2 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

I am on a minimal debian 10 system.
If you're on a Debian 10 system you can just use the for Debian 10 provided package? If you'd like to compile for older Debian's or Ubuntu 18.04 I'd figure that you'd like to start with Debian 9 Stretch?

And if you want to build on debian 10 you could use the development repo that provides all Proxmox specific dependencies and a fitting rustc
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Developer_Documentation#For_Proxmox_VE_6.x_based_on_Debian_10_Buster

I would like to build the client using the official docs first, then next step would be trying to build a static binary from it. I use debian 10 since that's in the docs.

Basically I would like to be able to build the pbs client first; it's not important for me whether it's debian 10 or something else.

From Developer Documentation - Proxmox VE I see there is a link to Build instructions, which tell to install debian 9. So perhaps I should start with debian 9?

thanks again for your help.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!