proxmox and pptp

Frakir

Jan 20, 2016
I'm trying to make pptp work in proxmox and I found a lot of problems.
The only way I managed to get it work is: VM with a real IP.
pptp doesn't work in a VM with nat.
Is it possible to make pptp work in a VM with nat?

When I make lxc-container it doesn't work even with a real IP without nat. Even worse, pptp in lxc hangs up all the node.
Every time I get
sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1a <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0xbd9e3105> <pcomp> <accomp>]
LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests

Of course on the node I did
modprobe ip_nat_pptp
modprobe ip_conntrack_pptp
modprobe ip_gre

I tried Network Device with nat mode and with bridged mode (and made nat myself). All the same.
I added
iptables -I FORWARD 1 -j ACCEPT
It doesn't help.

What's wrong, maybe there is something more I can try?

It's just a business task. I can't make our partner change it's network.
Of course I use ipsec and openvpn but this time I need exactly pptp. I know it's bad (and it made a lot of troubles when lxc with pptp hang up the whole node) but I need pptp-client. Without real IP, with nat.

I assume you have a similar setup like this:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Network_Model#Masquerading_.28NAT.29_with_iptables

With that, you can just create DNAT rules in PREROUTING to forward all gre and gre enhanced traffic to the private destination IP. Easier if your customer has a fixed/static ip address to preroute everything to your VM. We use a similar setup to nat all traffic from a customer to a specific VM endpoint.

If this does not apply, could you please "sketch" how your network is current set-up?

Yeees, it works!
Forwarding all gre to the VM does the trick. It's the solution!

Thank you very much.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!