Proxmox 5 - pve-daily-update.service - edit cronjob

Marcel40625

Dec 7, 2016
Hey Guys/Girls,

About my Setup:

I have setup a Proxmox Host on a Kimsufi.com (only 1 IP) Server. The server is for a little nextcloud installation and another Webserver.

About the Problem:
I have setup via the Proxmox WebGUI, SSL with LetsEncrypt, this works fine no problems here, but after i installed the VM´s for the Webserver and sended Port 80 and 443 via IPtables to a VM with a reverseProxy, i had a problem.

Everytime my Host tries to renew the Certificate for the WebGUI it fails because Port 80 is not listening on the Mainmachine anymore.

Question:
Is there any way to edit the Cronjob "pve-daily-update.service" that it flushes shortly the IPtables rules, renew the Certificate and loads back IPtables rules?

pve-daily-update.service is not a cronjob but a systemd-timer

you can override some things with
Code:
systemctl edit pve-daily-update.service

please see the systemd manual for details

with the 'systemctl edit' it creates a new override file which of course is empty (but will not get overwritten when our packages are udpated)
please read the systemd documentation about units/services/timers/overrides/etc.

the script actually renewing is /usr/bin/pveupdate but this will also get overwritten on every package update should you modify it

I extracted from pveupdate the acme update section. You can put the following script in /etc/cron.weekly:

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl

use strict;
use warnings;

use IO::File;
use File::Find;
use File::stat;

use PVE::CertHelpers;
use PVE::Certificate;
use PVE::NodeConfig;
use PVE::INotify;
use PVE::Cluster;
use PVE::APLInfo;
use PVE::SafeSyslog;
use PVE::RPCEnvironment;
use PVE::API2::Subscription;
use PVE::API2::APT;
use PVE::API2::ACME;

initlog ('acme-update', 'daemon');

die "please run as root\n" if $> != 0;

$ENV{'PATH'} = '/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin';

PVE::INotify::inotify_init();

my $rpcenv = PVE::RPCEnvironment->init('cli');

$rpcenv->init_request();
$rpcenv->set_language($ENV{LANG});
$rpcenv->set_user('root@pam');

my $nodename = PVE::INotify::nodename();

eval {

my $node_config = PVE::NodeConfig::load_config($nodename);
    if ($node_config && $node_config->{acme}) {
        my $cert = PVE::CertHelpers::cert_path_prefix($nodename).".pem";
        if (-e $cert) {
            if (PVE::Certificate::check_expiry($cert, time() + 30*24*60*60)) {
                my $r=`iptables -t nat -D PREROUTING -d 1.1.1.1/32 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 80 -j DNAT --to-destination 1.1.2.2:80`;
                PVE::API2::ACME->renew_certificate({ node => $nodename });
                $r=`iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -d 1.1.1.1/32 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 80 -j DNAT --to-destination 1.1.2.2:80`;
            } else {
                syslog ('info', 'Custom certificate does not expire soon, skipping ACME renewal.');
            }
        } else {
            syslog ('info', 'ACME config found for node, but no custom certificate exists. Skipping ACME renewal until initial certificate has been deployed.');
        }
    }
};
syslog ('err', "Renewing ACME certificate failed: $@") if $@;

exit (0);

Reactions: Mecanik

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!