[SOLVED] Proxmox 5.1 (ZFS) on a Dell Server

KHosting

Mar 13, 2016
I may be posting this request in the wrong forum but I thought I should ask anyways. :)

So I am trying to install Proxmox 5.1 on a Dell R430 and would like to use ZFS which will imply that I disable RAID. I tried to disable RAID in server BIOS but now I cannot see any drive on the system.

Please is there anyone here who have been able to install Proxmox on a similar server? How did you manage to disable the RAID controllers?

Any pointer will be appreciated.

I may be posting this request in the wrong forum but I thought I should ask anyways. :)

So I am trying to install Proxmox 5.1 on a Dell R430 and would like to use ZFS which will imply that I disable RAID. I tried to disable RAID in server BIOS but now I cannot see any drive on the system.

Please is there anyone here who have been able to install Proxmox on a similar server? How did you manage to disable the RAID controllers?

Any pointer will be appreciated.

I think you might have disabled the controller. You need to change it from raid to hba

Reactions: DerDanilo
It's depend a lot if your RAID card is also HBA o can be flashed in it-mode. If not, you will not able to use this and probably had to create an HW RAID and go to LVM... This is the case that I have on other DELL server.
LVM is probably a few worst, but seem the correct solution in these case.

Hi,
I don't know the r430 server (only r610 + r620).
The newer server should use drives without an raid-signature as pass through drive (like it-mode).
BTW. if you have an internal controller you can't flash them to it-mode!

If an unconfigured drive not show to the OS the only way I know is the crappy lsi way: build single raid0 for each hdd!
It's not the best way, because zfs hasn't the full access to the drive and there are people they say it's not safe, but I don't know another way.

Udo

Hi,
I don't know the r430 server (only r610 + r620).
The newer server should use drives without an raid-signature as pass through drive (like it-mode).
BTW. if you have an internal controller you can't flash them to it-mode!

If an unconfigured drive not show to the OS the only way I know is the crappy lsi way: build single raid0 for each hdd!
It's not the best way, because zfs hasn't the full access to the drive and there are people they say it's not safe, but I don't know another way.

Udo
Well, RAID0 with ZFS can work, but it's absolutely not recommended... Personally, I think that in case that there is no HBA or RAID card in it-mode, better go to hw raid with lvm... other setup can be an big problem in case of failure : https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/zfs-over-raid10-hw-wrong-idea.38033/#post-187805

Thanks you all. So apparently the controller firmware is out of date and need to be updated.

After that I was able to enable HBA mode and Proxmox now able to see the drives. I am assuming this is "pass through" mode mentioned previously.

Hallo May I know is DELL R640 using PERC H740P supported in Proxmox ?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!