Proxmox 4 should use OVS by default

aarcane

Renowned Member
Jul 28, 2015
Linux trunking, bonding, and bridging is outdated, awkward to configure, and doesn't do vlans or virtual interfaces very well. With today's modern infrastructure requirements, I think proxmox 4 should switch to openvswitch by default instead of legacy software. It does everything that the other three do, it does it with a simpler to manage interface, and it does it in one unified package. Not only that, any moderately sized data center will need these features to be properly configured anyway. Having them set up out of the box and ready to go can only help.

I've got proxmox + ovs set up in testing now. It's working wonderfully already, and I've got another debian system about to go into proxmox testing with LACP as well. Having configured both in both linux and proxmox, I definitely think OVS should be default.

Code:
Linux trunking, bonding, and bridging is outdated, awkward to configure, and doesn't do vlans or virtual interfaces very well.

since kernel 3.10, linux bridge support vlan tagging. (and also q-in-q vlan stack).
Cumulus network is doing a fantastic job since some months on briding/network stack, because they use it to manage physical switches.
We are looking to implement that currently.

OVS still missing igmp snooping, q-in-q but coming ovs 2.4 will improve that.

After that, we'll be able to evaluate which one is the best by default

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!