Proxmox 4 - Problem with IP and containers

Niloc

Jan 2, 2016
Hey,

I set up a host node and I wanted to create a container with 1 ip.
In proxmox 3 i could just type in the IP. In 4 it wants me to add (for example) /24 after the ip. So if I put a /32 behind it, it should have 1 IP.
The problem is, that the costumer can change their ip from xxx.xxx.xxx.100 to xxx.xxx.xxx.120 and it still works for them. They can even type in that IP if it's already used by another costumer.

How can I prevent users from doing that? Or how can i set up a container with 1 specific ip?

Thanks.

Hi,

i think you understand something wrong. "/24" is the subnetmask. This is "255.255.255.0". You have writen "/23", this is 255.255.254.0" This network have 510 adresses. So it is depending on your net, it is another way of writing. /32 is not one IP.

Do protect customer to change this use the ACLs: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/User_Management#Privileges
We do this in this way, and it is working fine.

Best Regards

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!