Proxmox 4 on ESXI 6.5 issue with network

Stanthewizzard

Mar 13, 2017
www.stanetdam.com
Hello

I'm using proxmox for container on ESXI.

VHV enable on ESXI Host
creating an Ubuntu 16.04 container perfectly works

Host Network
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 192.168.0.40
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.0.1
bridge_ports eth0
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

Guest Network

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.0.41
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.0.1

iface eth0 inet6 dhcp

Network is slow in guest. Ping are inconsistent (sometime working sometime not. Except pinging the host from container that work perfectly).
Network doesn't constently works :O

I'm quite lost
Thanks for help

Sounds like a problem in ESXI - possible that ESXi switches do not accept MAC addresses created by Proxmox?

However: check the packet flow by tcpdump.

Occasionally to a comparison test with ESXi 6.5 I figured out one problem (I cannot say if it is the only one respectively that one in your case):

By default ESXi virtual switch drops packets from unknown MAC addresses (which are all virtual NICs in Proxmox area). By changing security settings you can get rid of that, in the ESXi switch's security policy set

Allow promiscuous mode= Yes
Allow forged transmits= Yes
Allow MAC changes=Yes

Occasionally to a comparison test with ESXi 6.5 I figured out one problem (I cannot say if it is the only one respectively that one in your case):

By default ESXi virtual switch drops packets from unknown MAC addresses (which are all virtual NICs in Proxmox area). By changing security settings you can get rid of that, in the ESXi switch's security policy set

Allow promiscuous mode= Yes
Allow forged transmits= Yes
Allow MAC changes=Yes
Thank you, it is working now

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!