Proxmox 4 drive layout

reetp

Renowned Member
Aug 19, 2013
I just test installed Proxmox v4.2 and the partition/drive layout is not really what I wanted.

I have a pair of drives in RAID 1 that I wanted the basic OS to go on with another 6 in RAID 6 which I wanted to put the VMs and ISO etc on (I have no 'speed' requirements and this layout will be rampantly fast enough and suits me for now)

The basic install divides up the RAID 1 into a 'local' partition on /var/lib/vz and another LVM partition for VMs.

So the space for ISOs is very limited as the system tries to reserve what space it can for VMs as it thinks it has to try and cram everything on the first 'drive'.

I really wanted a fairly simple install with the base OS to go on the RAID 1 and the RAID 6 mounted at var/lib/vz for VMs and ISOs. I may add a storage array at some point and can then add that for more VMs etc.

I can then thrash or trash the OS any time without destroying the other volumes.

I guess I could either

Do a Debian netinstall and partition as I want.

Unmount the current LVM and the 'local partition', add the RAID 6 to /var/lib/vz and then remove the LVM and 'local' partition and enlarge the boot partition.

Any ideas or suggestions on the best way to do this ?

B. Rgds
John

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!