Proxmox 4.4: ZFS Raid 1 (/) and Raid 0 (data)

chencho

Nov 25, 2010
Hi all.

There is some time I dont install proxmox (since Raid-1 are not recommended) but it seems now all is different!

I have a setup with 2xSSD and 2 xHD.

I wonder if Raid-1 or Raid-0 are not fully compatible with proxmox and ZFS , or there is no problem about using it.

My setup actually are / in RAID 1, /var/lib/vz (zfspool) in RAID 0 (this part into SSD) and /backups (zfspool) in RAID 0 (this with HD).

I have others servers to move vm in , thats because I don't have Raid1

Have you gone mad? Putting DATA and backups on raid0 and system on raid1???

Hi.

I have two more servers:

A) Production. Makes backups locally daily, weekly and monthly.

B) Tools + Cloud storages systems (Owncloud servers). Makes backups locally daily, weekly and monthly.

C) (This one). I will put daily backups from A and B inside, and eventually up virtual servers if A or B fails.

Thats because I probably use RAID 0 to backups, to storage backups from A and B

Some times ago Soft-RAID1 was not recommended to Proxmox. I ask if it still true or with Proxmox 4 and ZFS is deprecated.

Proxmox does not support MD-Raid. ZFS is fully supported, so your configuration is supported and potentially future-proof.
Apart from that: Don't use Raid-0 - not even for Backups.

Regards,
Jonas

I ask if it still true or with Proxmox 4 and ZFS is deprecated.

Deprecated? ZFS is the most advanced filesystem in the world ... I cannot imagine what the FS would look like that deprecates ZFS.

You could (technically) use RAID-0 (and all other leves) with ZFS without any problems, yet I personally have not tried to use RAID-0 in production. I played around with some files a VM, but I'd never ever ever use RAID-0 anywhere. If you have backup or not, that does not matter. RAID-0 should never be used on a server. The problem is that you will have worse reliability than if you'd only use one disk, and one single disks fails often enough. The time to recovery is very, very bad. You should at least use ZFS replication to the other node to have a working system if the first one crashes that can be instantly turned on and continue to work.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!