Proxmox 4.4 question regarding SSD storage

Mecanik

Mar 2, 2017
I have a question, and if it's a dumb one please don't judge me because I am fairly new to Proxmox and starting to get accommodated...

I have a dedicated server with 2 x SSD drives with Soft Raid, but I am able to use only one in Proxmox, and that doesn't seem right to me.

I don't quite understand Soft Raid, should it be like this ? Because I have other dedicated servers with Hard Raid ( 2 x 3 TB for example ) but in Proxmox -> Datacenter -> <node> -> Disks I can see only 1 disk, while on this dedicated server with 2 x SSD's I can see both disks:

RxBcaJg.png

So I guess the overall question would be, can I use both disks ? If so, how do I mount the second one ?

I really hope I can use the second disk as well, because with just one I can't really create many VM's.

Thank you

first, software raid is not supported by us, if you want to buy a subscription with ticket support in the future.
second, software raid is, as the name suggests, done in software so the os sees both disks, but generates a virtual one (usually /dev/mdX) on which it operates

you can verify you use both disks by looking at the output of lsblk
there it should show 2 disks as part of a raid for the root partition/lvm/whatever it is configured for

Thank you, the output of lsblk is:

vZhcl0d.png

This means it's using both disks ? Because after I created 2 small VM's I see only 100 GB left as "space" ...

yes it uses /dev/sda1 and /dev/sdb1 as / (md1) and /dev/sda5 and /dev/sdb5 as /var/lib/vz (md5)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!