Proxmox 4.4, not enough space on local

ivanpop

Jun 21, 2015
I'm trying to upgrade my server from 3.4 to 4.4, I created backups of my VM's but there is not enough space to upload them to the new machine. I have backups that are 150gb+ in size but the local content of 4.4 is only 100gb in size. I have plenty of space in local-lvm, but I can't upload anything to it.

I'm trying to upgrade my server from 3.4 to 4.4, I created backups of my VM's but there is not enough space to upload them to the new machine. I have backups that are 150gb+ in size but the local content of 4.4 is only 100gb in size. I have plenty of space in local-lvm, but I can't upload anything to it.
Hi,
simply create an LV in local-lvm, create an filesystem, mount them and scp the backup files (file by file?). After copy restore your backup.

Udo

I can't create anything in local-lvm, it's all grayed out. In datacenter I can add an LVM or LVM-Thin, but their content can't be backups

Hi,
I mean with the cli.

something like:
Code:
vgs
lvs
lvcreate -V 150G --thin -n restore pve/data
mkfs.ext4 /dev/pve/restore
mkdir /mnt/restore
# temporary mount
mount /dev/pve/restore /mnt/restore
# scp from other node the backupfile to /mnt/restore/
qmrestore /mnt/restore/vz...
If you are finished, unmount /mnt/restore and remove the LV (lvremove).

Udo

Thank you, but why do I have to do all this?
On 3.4 there was one partition for everything and there was no need for commands. Now I won't even be able to make backups of these machines, since by default I have only 100gb for all my iso's, templates and backups and that's insane.

since some time we use lvm-thin by default for a number of reasons:

smaller layer between harddisks and virtual disks ( no filesystem between )
allows for snapshots, even for lxc ( raw files in directory does not support snapshots )

your setup is still possible, just not the default anymore
there is even a guide on the wiki
http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Logical...r_tt_span_class_monospaced_var_lib_vz_span_tt

also, a backup on the same hard drive is a recipe for disaster, since when your hd crashes all backups are gone too

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!