Proxmox 3.4, OVS and Open VZ - 2 nics, 2 subnets

Dolomike

Dec 13, 2014
Hello,

I tried a while ago to get this working with Proxmox 3.3 but could never get things working right. I've just installed 3.4 and was hoping someone had a good example of using OVS and OpenVZ with two nics.

I have two nics, each with their own subnet and gateway, would like to be able to connect to the GUI/SSH on the host, and don't want the two subnets to have access to each other as this will be handled by the upstream firewall.

Would it be best to have an additional NIC for the GUI/SSH? How do I properly setup OVS for this type of configuration? Any help would be appreciated as I'd like to migrate to Proxmox soon.

Thanks,
Mike

Hello Dolomike

I tried a while ago to get this working with Proxmox 3.3 but could never get things working right. I've just installed 3.4 and was hoping someone had a good example of using OVS and OpenVZ with two nics.

have a look here

http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/18331-Migrating-to-Open-vSwitch?p=93726#post93726

Note: Since the bug when using it in containers is solved in the meantime the mentioned work around is not necessary any more.

Would it be best to have an additional NIC for the GUI/SSH? How do I properly setup OVS for this type of configuration?

To separate different kinds of traffic is always a good idea. What to do in particular depends on your specific needs.

Maybe the example can give you some ideas.

Kind regards

Mr.Holmes

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!