Proxmox 2 - Raid hard (no BBU) or two HDD ?

devnull

Mar 12, 2012
Hello !

(I'm French, please excuse the bad English)

Sorry to bother with that question but I can't find a "crystal clear" answer...

I have two choices :

A) dedicated server with Raid 1 hard BUT no battery
B) same server whitout Raid (Proxmox on sda, backups on sdb)

If this machine hang or is hard rebooted, which is the better choice ?

(At the moment I can't afford Raid with BBU)

Thank you for your time.

both it not recommended for production use. on A you have no write cache protection (and therefore risk to loose data or bad performance if you disable BBU) on B you have no raid.

so the crystal clear answer is: do not do A and do not do B.

Sigh...

Thank you the the answer.

both it not recommended for production use.
I agree with that but, at the moment, having two dedicated servers is cheaper than having only one with Raid hard and BBU.

To be more precise, I can handle the loss at any time (don't need HA) of one node since backups are done every 6 hours and replicated.

So, despite the fact that is it risky to enable write-cache on a Raid system without BBU, am I totally wrong if I think that using Raid 1 is a little better ? (than no raid at all)

Thanks!

if the file-system writes data to the disk and this is not there - only in cache - you will loose data in the case a power-loss.

this does not happen every day but if its happen then who will monitor this? how can you make sure that you did not lost any important data? it can happen that silently data is gone and no one will know which parts.

if performance does not matter, go for the hardware raid and disable all caches (raid controller and disk cache). safe but slow.

you will never get an official recommendation here to go without hardware raid and BBU (or even better, nand flash protected cache).

Hi.

Sorry for the late answer.

you will never get an official recommendation here to go without hardware raid and BBU [...]
Understood. (I also have googled more on the subject)

Again, thank you for your time and your detailled answers. :D

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!