Proxmox 2 and the new HP DL360 G8

bwlinux

Sep 28, 2010
Has anyone started using proxmox 2 on the HP's new G8 series. It seems they use a special 4 port network card (HP Ethernet 1Gb 4-port 331FLR Adapter) which is the Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5719 chipset and uses the tg3 driver.

I wanted to use 2 of the ports to connect to our OpenFiler SAN and so I need to change the MTU to 9000 on the NIC ports in the HP. However, it won't let me do that. When I try to change the port's MTU manually I get the following:

# ifconfig eth2 mtu 9000
SIOCSIFMTU: Invalid argument

To cover some of the bases,
yes the switch is configured to handle jumbo frames
an intel 4 port 1G card in the same server has no problem with mtu size of 9000
I don't see anything in /var/log/messages telling me the MTU change fails

I've found mention of an HP support pack that is supposed to have an updated driver. But they don't have any support for Debian Squeeze that I could find.

--
Brian

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!