Proxmox 2.1 installation ethernet assignment

webservio

Renowned Member
May 13, 2009
Using a Dell 1950 with two extra quad ethernet ports the default proxmox 2.1 installation assigns eth0/vmbr0 to a non board ethernet port (other than GB1). The installation also showed the following symptoms:

- Assign ethernet numbers randomly and non sequesntial. For example instead of assigning eth1-eth2,th3,eth4,eth5 it assigns eth1,eth2,eth3,eth5 (skips eth4, etc).
- The installation also ignored three ethernet ports which I manually checked but again out of sequence eth11,eth12,eth13.

I tried to manually add the three missing ethernet ports to /etc/network/interfaces by adding:

iface eth11 inet manual

iface eth12 inet manual

iface eth13 inet manual

However I cannot access and configure the ethernet ports through the web interface. I also noticed that
the changes using the web interface are saved in interfaces.new for the next reboot.

So to enable the three interfaces do I edit /etc/network/interfaces or interfaces.new or am i missing something that is internal to roxmox. Please advise.

check the following file: /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and fix MAC->ifname mapping

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!