Proxmox 2.0 (Rc1) guest Windows server 2008 x86 64 and windows XP

amurchikus

Mar 18, 2012
Hello everybody,

Some time ago, I installed Proxmox 2.0 and immediately created VirtMachines :D (windows xp, windows server 2008 x86 and windows server 2008 amd64).
My main server has configuration HP ProLiant 350 G6.
As a result, all virtual machines work fine, but during the first boot (booting from hdd, like after bios initialization, but until logo boot of Windows server 2008) I get black screen with a 3-5 minutes' delay only on windows server 2008 86/64. Why is it so?
Please help me.
What do I have to do?BlackScreen.JPG

Last edited:
It is strange because I have this problems every time independently of install windows updates. I don't understand why so long time preload.

Hello everybody,

Some time ago, I installed Proxmox 2.0 and immediately created VirtMachines :D (windows xp, windows server 2008 x86 and windows server 2008 amd64).
My main server has configuration HP ProLiant 350 G6.
As a result, all virtual machines work fine, but during the first boot (booting from hdd, like after bios initialization, but until logo boot of Windows server 2008) I get black screen with a 3-5 minutes' delay only on windows server 2008 86/64. Why is it so?
Please help me.
What do I have to do?View attachment 826

for win2008, which version ? 2008 SP1,2008 SP2, R2, R2 SP1?

for 32 bits windows system, could you try to add

args: -machine pc,kernel_irqchip=on

in your vm config file ?

this is related to this kvm commit and can speedup boot of windows 32 bits systems:
http://www.mail-archive.com/qemu-devel@nongnu.org/msg95980.html
http://git.kernel.org/?p=virt/kvm/qemu-kvm.git;a=commit;h=e5ad936b0fd7dfd7fd7908be6f9f1ca88f63b96b

Can you also try this package:
http://odisoweb1.odiso.net/pve-qemu-kvm_1.0-7_amd64.deb

(this is the last version of kvm (more updated than current proxmox package), with some optimisations for 32bits windows

Last edited:
Thank you so much for replaying :D.
I have version for two servers (x86 and x64) are: versWin2008.JPG

Today I will tray to install 2008 r2 SP1. Then I tell about my results.
And for notice server 2008 (build - x86 SP2) and server 2008 (build -x64 SP2) - are going same.

Last edited:
Hello Everybody. Thank you so much for your replying, especially to "spirit".
After install virtual server 2008 r2 SP1 on KVM. I had the same symptoms like before, but then I install/upgrade KVM by dpkg pve-qemu-kvm_1.0-7_amd64.deb and wooala :D. I got 2-3 minutes boot UP. :D
Who has any questions let to me.

Ok,thanks to report, we will upgrade pve-qemu-kvm as soon as possible.
Some questions :
Does it solve also your windows xp and windows server 2008 x86 problems ?
did you try with args: -machine pc,kernel_irqchip=on ? or default config with just pve-qemu-kvm upgrade ?

Does it solve also your windows xp and windows server 2008 x86 problems ? - Yes it does.
did you try with args: -machine pc,kernel_irqchip=on ? or default config with just pve-qemu-kvm upgrade ?[/QUOTE] - I have configured with just pve-qemu-kvm upgrade.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!