Promox 5.2 mount second drive.

Tip32a

Mar 24, 2018
Environment & Goal
Clean fresh install of Proxmox 5.2 in the sole SSD in the machine \dev\sda.
Shut down machine added a second SSD. and booted.
used shell to create partition on /dev/sdb
In proxmox I see
/dev/sda SSD mounted 476.94 yes ATA samsung_bla_bla sn_BLA_BLA_BLA PASSED N/A
/dev/sdb SSD NO 476.94 yes ATA samsung_bla_bla sn_BLA_BLA_BLA PASSED N/A
My goal is to install ubuntu on the entire /dev/sdb to run Kerio Mail Server.
When I go to create the VM sdb is not available?

What step have I missed?

Thank you.
Tom

You have to create an filesystem on there disk too. Make an partitiontable with "cfdisk" then use "mkfs" for your favorite filesystem. With "blkid" you get the new id for your SDD, with that you can set the mountpoint in the fstab. Have also an look at the featurematrix.

Or you can create an LVM-thin, don't need to make fs or mount, just add to storage in the GUI

Thank you fireon and bobmc for your posts.
Bobmc I added a lvm-thin but when I tried to create the ubuntu vm and selected the drive it was the same size 350gb as the sda available space. I find it hard to believe I lost 150GB of usable space. Something is wrong.

Fireon, I cannot find any reference to mkfs as a file system. but as a read this more carefully I believe you are saying use the mkfs command to install my favorite OS on the partition.
This would bring me to a different question. What is the preferred OS for a ubuntu Install?

Tom

You lack Linux basic knowledge ;) LVM-Thin is another layer. How big you've created your new LVM-Thin volume?
Code:
pvs
vgs
lvs
Have you added your new LVM-Thin drive to the storages?
Code:
pvesm status

ireon, I cannot find any reference to mkfs as a file system. but as a read this more carefully I believe you are saying use the mkfs command to install my favorite OS on the partition.
This would bring me to a different question.
MKFS is the program to format disk with a filesystem. For example:
Code:
mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdx
Have also a look at the documentation.
Code:
man mkfs.ext4

What is the preferred OS for a ubuntu Install?
I mean add the new space to storages (CMD or Webinterface) an after you can install an OS in a VM on this space. The Documentation is available at you system offline too. Click on every point at the helpbutton there.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!