Product Request: ProxmoxMailArchiv(PMA)

DerDanilo

Renowned Member
Jan 21, 2017
@proxmox Team

Your products are awesome and it's very nice to make them opensource and available for free or via CE licenses to everyday users to use.

What is missing is a simple mail archiv solution. You basically have the interface and some search functions already. It would just require some more feature for compliance and user based archiv access.
User based quarantine access shows that part of the mechanism is there already.
This would complete the product/solution set for e-mails.

Do you think that you could create something like "ProxmoxMailArchiv" as additional product?
Of course this could still take month to years to implement but it would also give you more clients.

If you think that this could be implemented in long term it would be really nice.
I am happy to provide more input if required.

What do you think?

@proxmox
Do you think that you could create something like "ProxmoxMailArchiv" as additional product?
Of course this could still take month to years to implement but it would also give you more clients.

I think this would perfectly integrate, and we already thought about this several times. If you want to work on that, just
post your ideas on pmg-devel list for further discussion.

But there are already some open source products for that, see

http://www.admin-magazine.com/Archive/2015/28/Open-source-mail-archiving-software-compared

I think this would perfectly integrate, and we already thought about this several times. If you want to work on that, just
post your ideas on pmg-devel list for further discussion.

Great to hear that! Will do that once I find some spare time.

I tried a few alternatives. None of the opensource + free solutions were easy to setup and mantain.
We need a solution that is usable for everybody, just like PVE and PMG. PMA here we go :-D

We also tested many of them, Benno and Mailarchiva we used for some time. We currently ended up with MailStore (although we don't prefer Windows based systems), looks and works fine. However, we would welcome a solution from Proxmox as well.

Reactions: DerDanilo
Great to hear that! Will do that once I find some spare time.

I tried a few alternatives. None of the opensource + free solutions were easy to setup and mantain.
We need a solution that is usable for everybody, just like PVE and PMG. PMA here we go :-D
Hello,

We using MailPiler for email archiving (we started using this ~5 years ago).

MailPiler I tested just the setup and decided not to use it very fast. What I like on PMG over all the MailScanner UI solutions is the ease of installation, use and customization. I also prefer CentOS over Debian (to sad, PMG is built on Debian, but it's the only hassle.)

What was wrong with piler? We using it without any issue, and when need to restore emails, its good. However, yes, we using only same basic features. All incoming and outgoing emails sent to piler server, and there is a retention policy, to automatically delete emails after 3 years. Thats all.

MailPiler I tested just the setup and decided not to use it very fast. What I like on PMG over all the MailScanner UI solutions is the ease of installation, use and customization. I also prefer CentOS over Debian (to sad, PMG is built on Debian, but it's the only hassle.)

You say that you like the ease of installation with PMG but do prefer CentOS over Debian?
CentOS is way more pain in the back than Debian ever was. This goes from setup to config changes/updates.
No offence but do you prefer GUI over CLI? I cannot think of other reasons one would say so. ;-)

Sorry, but I can tell you stories from Debian over Ubuntu via Raspbian, it was always a pain, many hassles, I really don't like to work with. CentOS always worked better for me and I never had problems. I learned Linux with Gentoo, so I know, how it works, but once I swapped to RedHat and later to CentOS it was the best decision. Similar to Mac from PC and iOS from Symbian. However, it's always the discussion of both fractions, so I don't believe, it makes sense to do it public here. And yes, I prefer GUI over CLI, if it's working and well designed (in view of usability). But I'm happy also to be able to use the CLI.

But it's also the reason to use Proxmox, otherwise I could use rspamd, I could use MailScanner or do all by myself. Baruwa e.g. has much more features than PMG, MailCleaner or Scrollout as well, but they are not well designed, not ease to setup and to use and they require many many adjustments, but also offer this options. So Proxmox is also for me a great GUI for the basics with good defaults I can adjust a bit instead of the need to do everything by myself.

Just for your Debian question: Just a few topics just arise again, why I dislike Debian over CentOS: It's so much chaos, apt vs. apt-get, rcx.d folders in the same time as everything is systemd'd, always recommendations to add more repos to apt as the official Debian packages are outdated (or use Github, which complicates updating). I try always to do one and the right way, but Debian has so much, looks like one worked here, other worked there, no consistence. Same was for Gentoo, they decided to change the Apache folder structure ones, so I need to adjust, weeks later, decision was reverted, so need to change again. That's no professional system, that's a game field, for private usage fine, for business usage unusable. So that's my experience all the times I had Debian, Ubuntu, Raspbian or similar systems in my hand against RHEL and lateron CentOS (as RedHat started to provide also only community support with the basic subscription, which finally brought no advance of RHEL vs. CentOS).

Just once again on Debian (maybe others also encounter this problem): If you're running without license, last Debian update result in clam-daemon to be killed and not be able to be restarted (my adjusted clamav-unofficial-sigs script report problems to me, otherwise I won't have realized the issues). It's because it anyhow get killed by the update, but the start/stop script expects, it's still running and the pid and ctl file are not deleted. So only solution is also to stop freshclam, remove the /run/clamav folder and then restart both services again. Or just reboot.

However, as mentioned above, that's something, I expect to happen on Debian or Ubuntu and never saw on CentOS or RHEL.

Just once again on Debian (maybe others also encounter this problem): If you're running without license, last Debian update result in clam-daemon to be killed and not be able to be restarted (my adjusted clamav-unofficial-sigs script report problems to me, otherwise I won't have realized the issues). It's because it anyhow get killed by the update, but the start/stop script expects, it's still running and the pid and ctl file are not deleted. So only solution is also to stop freshclam, remove the /run/clamav folder and then restart both services again. Or just reboot.

However, as mentioned above, that's something, I expect to happen on Debian or Ubuntu and never saw on CentOS or RHEL.

I do not see this issue. You do countless changes in your configs, maybe your issue is related to your custom changes and not generally a "Debian" issue?

It isn’t, it’s related to Debian as base system. However, I just yet encountered many topics which would welcome a(n integrated) PMA. As then it would be possible to learn spam and ham (as bayes is a good spam solution), get better control on quarantine and if PMA is also sending server (smtp auth as well as IMAP access provided), it’s well integrated and there is no need for a mailserver at all.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!