Problems with Spice Unable to Connect to Graphics Server

Shadow

Aug 27, 2013
Hey guys,

I read a lot in this Forum and could solve the most problems by myself.
Hope that you can help me. I reinstalled my Proxmox VE Cluster and migrated all VMs from PVE 2.3 to PVE 3.1.
I have two nodes combined to a cluster. Everything is working perfectly, but after adding the second node, I get an error message when I try to open the Spice Connection.

I can open the Spice connection on the first node, but if I try to start a Spice Connection to a VM located on the other I get the following error:

Unable to connect to the graphic server C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\spiceproxy.vv

C:\Program Files\VirtViewer\bin>remote-viewer.exe C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Te mp\spiceproxy.vv --debug

I startet the remote-viewer with debug function.

C:\Program Files\VirtViewer\bin>remote-viewer.exe C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Te
mp\spiceproxy.vv --debug

C:\Program Files\VirtViewer\bin>(remote-viewer.exe:3756): remote-viewer-DEBUG: I
nsert window 0 000000000207D000
(remote-viewer.exe:3756): remote-viewer-DEBUG: fullscreen display 0: 0
(remote-viewer.exe:3756): remote-viewer-DEBUG: Opening display to C:\Users\User\
AppData\Local\Temp\spiceproxy.vv

(remote-viewer.exe:3756): remote-viewer-WARNING **: failed to remove C:\Users\Us
er\AppData\Local\Temp\spiceproxy.vv
(remote-viewer.exe:3756): remote-viewer-DEBUG: Guest C:\Users\User\AppData\Local
\Temp\spiceproxy.vv has a spice display
(remote-viewer.exe:3756): remote-viewer-DEBUG: After open connection callback fd
=-1
(remote-viewer.exe:3756): remote-viewer-DEBUG: Opening connection to display at
C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\spiceproxy.vv
(remote-viewer.exe:3756): remote-viewer-DEBUG: New spice channel 000000000210975
0 SpiceMainChannel 0
(remote-viewer.exe:3756): remote-viewer-DEBUG: Checking full screen auto-conf
(remote-viewer.exe:3756): remote-viewer-DEBUG: auto-conf disabled
(remote-viewer.exe:3756): remote-viewer-DEBUG: notebook show status 000000000207
C150

(remote-viewer.exe:3756): GSpice-WARNING **: HTTP proxy connection failed: 401 i
nvalid ticket
(remote-viewer.exe:3756): remote-viewer-DEBUG: main channel: failed to connect
(remote-viewer.exe:3756): remote-viewer-DEBUG: Disposing window 000000000207D000

(remote-viewer.exe:3756): remote-viewer-DEBUG: Set connect info: (null),(null),(
null),-1,(null),(null),(null),0

I tried Windows 7 x64 and Windows 8 x64, on every machine it´s the same error.
Just forget to mention that I first used the Virt-Viewer 0.5.6 x64 and then I tried to use Virt-Viewer 0.5.7 x64.
If I login to the second server where the VM is located (second server) I get the same error.

I use the normal user@pve to let the user login.
The error is the same, with root or with the user.

Hope that you can help me!

Thank you and best regards

Shadow

Last edited:
I'm also getting this error when connecting to a Spice enabled VM.
The problem is with the machine you are connecting from as I'm able to establish a Spice session to the same VM from another workstation.

This is what I see when I click the Spice button:

z785Yrw.jpg

Running debug results in this:

C:\Program Files\VirtViewer\bin>remote-viewer.exe "D:\Downloads\spiceproxy-10.vv" --debug

C:\Program Files\VirtViewer\bin>(remote-viewer.exe:5244): remote-viewer-DEBUG: Couldn't load configuration: No such file
or directory
(remote-viewer.exe:5244): remote-viewer-DEBUG: Insert window 0 0000000000884000
(remote-viewer.exe:5244): remote-viewer-DEBUG: fullscreen display 0: 0
(remote-viewer.exe:5244): remote-viewer-DEBUG: Opening display to D:\Downloads\spiceproxy-10.vv

(remote-viewer.exe:5244): remote-viewer-WARNING **: failed to remove D:\Downloads\spiceproxy-10.vv
(remote-viewer.exe:5244): remote-viewer-DEBUG: Guest D:\Downloads\spiceproxy-10.vv has a spice display
(remote-viewer.exe:5244): remote-viewer-DEBUG: After open connection callback fd=-1
(remote-viewer.exe:5244): remote-viewer-DEBUG: Opening connection to display at D:\Downloads\spiceproxy-10.vv
(remote-viewer.exe:5244): remote-viewer-DEBUG: New spice channel 0000000003A91220 SpiceMainChannel 0
(remote-viewer.exe:5244): remote-viewer-DEBUG: Checking full screen auto-conf
(remote-viewer.exe:5244): remote-viewer-DEBUG: auto-conf disabled
(remote-viewer.exe:5244): remote-viewer-DEBUG: notebook show status 0000000000883150

(remote-viewer.exe:5244): GSpice-WARNING **: HTTP proxy connection failed: 401 invalid ticket
(remote-viewer.exe:5244): remote-viewer-DEBUG: main channel: failed to connect
(remote-viewer.exe:5244): remote-viewer-DEBUG: Disposing window 0000000000884000

I've tried the x86 and x64 client binaries from http://www.spice-space.org/download.html and both result in the same error. I'm using the latest publicly available version of the Spice binaries for Windows 0.5.7.

Last edited:
Hi,

anyone found a solution already?

I have the same problem.

Thanks!

The error is
": HTTP proxy connection failed: 401 invalid ticket"

This come from pveproxy. (not related to spice client or spice protocol).
Are you sure that both servers have exactly the same time clock ?

It can't be a problem with Proxmox as I'm able to establish Spice connections from another machine. A real hassle to work with though.

Experiencing the same problem. Just upgraded this test server to current PVE 3.1. Port 3128/TCP is open to all, port 61000/TCP is listening on PVE localhost (opened by the KVM process). Port 3128 is accessible remotely via telnet and port 61000 is accessible locally on the HN via telnet. As if the proxy didn't want to forward between the two properly. Using http://virt-manager.org/download/sources/virt-viewer/virt-viewer-x64-0.5.7.msi on Win7 x64. Pveversion:

proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 3.1-109 (running kernel: 2.6.32-23-pve)
pve-manager: 3.1-3 (running version: 3.1-3/dc0e9b0e)
pve-kernel-2.6.32-20-pve: 2.6.32-100
pve-kernel-2.6.32-23-pve: 2.6.32-109
lvm2: 2.02.98-pve4
clvm: 2.02.98-pve4
corosync-pve: 1.4.5-1
openais-pve: 1.1.4-3
libqb0: 0.11.1-2
redhat-cluster-pve: 3.2.0-2
resource-agents-pve: 3.9.2-4
fence-agents-pve: 4.0.0-1
pve-cluster: 3.0-7
qemu-server: 3.1-1
pve-firmware: 1.0-23
libpve-common-perl: 3.0-6
libpve-access-control: 3.0-6
libpve-storage-perl: 3.0-10
pve-libspice-server1: 0.12.4-1
vncterm: 1.1-4
vzctl: 4.0-1pve3
vzprocps: 2.0.11-2
vzquota: 3.1-2
pve-qemu-kvm: 1.4-17
ksm-control-daemon: 1.1-1
glusterfs-client: 3.4.0-2

EDIT: on my Win7 x64 laptop I installed the x86 MSI package (by mistake), and there it works. Haven't tried the x64 MSI there, though. OTOH, neither the x64, nor the x86 version works on this Win7 x64 PC. I'd say this technology is still in its infancy. Thankfully the Java VNC console still works perfectly as usual.

Last edited:
same problem here with a windows 7 64bit client tring to access a ubuntu 12.04 LTS desktop what gives!

This might sound dim, but what about the space in the url c:/Program Files/ ?? I thought that was verboten?

Still not working.

Any news or solutions?
I can't even open spice connection on the first node.

I had this error when i was trying to connect to SPICE VMs remotely. Proper port settings made this error go away. Also when time on 2 nodes are badly out of sync, you will get such error.

What I would like to see is a clear-cut explanation of how Spice works. Basic stuff, like do I need to install X11 on the proxmox base install and/or within each container? Do I need to install an extension in my browser? Do I need to install more packages? Just a basic HOWTO would be great!

I can only speak of Linux, and more precise Debian Sid.
1) Simply install virt-viewer: apt-get install virt-viewer (in Debian Sid the version is 0.5.6 which is the minimum required version)
2) Firefox and Iceweasel might ask you the first time you hit the 'Spice' button what you would like to do. Simply instruct it to use an application and point it to 'virt-viewer'. Remember to check the box 'Use as default'. If this is done you should see this in preferences. See image.
Screenshot-Iceweasel Preferences.png
3) Google Chrome or Chromium, if I recall correctly, simply just works.

Nothing is required to be installed in your VM's but if you would like seamless graphical integration between the VM's and your disktop like it is with VirtualBox and VmWare Player you can install spice-vdagent. Is available in Debian >= Wheezy, RHEL >= 5, Fedora >= 12, Ubuntu >= 10.04, Linux Mint >= 10, Arch AUR, Windows >= 7 (Including >= Server 2008), Gentoo. This is by no means a complete list but a list representing what I know.

Read more here: http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/SPICE

Hey guys,

I finally solved the problem.

I found out, that if the FQDN begins with a captial letter, remote-viewer is not able to connect to the VM.

Example:

Node1.local -> problems because of capital letter

Error message:

Unable to connect to the graphic server C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\spiceproxy.vv

Now if the Nodename begins with a lowercase letter.

Example

node1.local -> no problems also in cluster mode.

You can easily reproduce the error.

Install Proxmox VE in VMware Player, use a FQDN (Hostname) with capital letter.
Then you can´t connect to the VM.

Hope that I could help you.

Please note: Its not a problem with Remote-Viewer!!!

Best regards

Shadow

another cause with SOLUTION: enshure an open Port TCP 3128

I had the same problem when accessing the spice server from the outer LAN, with exactly the same error message. But the cause was another: After forwarding the port TCP 3128 on my router everything works fine.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!