Problems with outgoing Mails

thsuniki

Jul 1, 2005
Germany
Hello,

we use a exchange 5.5 SP4. Proxmox is configured and works good with incoming Mails.
If I define the IP from Proxmox in exchange the mails could not sends.
How can define the Port 26(proxmox intranet) in exchange?

Thomas

exchange 5.5

hello thomas,

i am not an expert on exchange 5.5, so i had to do a little research on this.

Based on my further research, it is not possible to change the outgoing Port in Exchange 5.5. It's always Port 25 and it's hardcoded in the source code. There is no registry-Key or other opportunity to change the outgoing port.

in exchange 2000/2003 its easy to change the port.

the solution: see the posting from christian.

regards,
martin

Hello Thomas!

A solution suggestion for your problem:

The default configuration of the proxmox mail gateway uses port 25 for incoming and port 26 for outgoing e-mails.

With Exchange 5.5 you can't use port 26 for outgonig (see posting from martin) so you have to change these two values. In the end you have to use port 25 for outgoing and port 26 for incoming mails.

To receive e-mails you have to do a port forwarding at your firewall. So that your external IP and Port 25 shows to the mail gateway ip and port 26.

I hope, this will help you.

Please feel free to ask further questions.

regards,
christian

Hello christian and martin,

thanks for all.
My problems are:
our firewall have not port forwarding and in the next time (2-3 month) we will use a exchange 2003.
The port for incoming mails can i set to 26 or ... (\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\services smtp 26).
Do you know, if this works also for outgoing mails?

regards,
thomas

Hello,

On a exchange 2003 it's no problem to change the incoming and/or outgoing mail port.
The smarthost configuration on exchange 2003 also allows to change the outgoing port.

If you use exchange 2003 there is no need to implement a port forward and it's easy to confgure your mail server.

Examples for configurating mail server will be available at our new ADMIN GUIDE DOCUMENT in version 1.7, which is coming soon...

regards,
christian

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!