Problems with files sync and HDD passthrough

parshivets

Feb 19, 2020
Hi All.
Tried to mount drivers directly to VM https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Physical_disk_to_kvm

1. Login to VM (OMV (open media vault) or Ubuntu), create a file on the mounted drive.

2. Login to Proxmox, check the same folder - file is not there.

image.png.4d61835536b5204bbdd4902c9d074618.png

The same folder on VM and Proxmox. Vm doesn't have update_nextcloud.sh

I was trying different type of Cache - no luck.
Any suggestions?

You can't access a drive from two different OS'ses simultaniously.
If you change on one side, the other side does not recognize the update because it is not aware of the possibility, that someone else uses the same disk.
This is why we have cluster aware Filesystems in environments, where multiple systems need to access shared data - or, they use NFS...

You would need to unmount the drive on one side, then mount it again on the other side. Then the change should show up. They way you are doing it now - wont work.

I would suggest you rethink your approach by using NFS exports, which would allow what you try to achieve.
E.g. use the disk in system A, export the path via NFS and mount the NFS-export from system B. This can be Read-Write or Read-Only, depending on your need.

You can't access a drive from two different OS'ses simultaniously.
If you change on one side, the other side does not recognize the update because it is not aware of the possibility, that someone else uses the same disk.
This is why we have cluster aware Filesystems in environments, where multiple systems need to access shared data - or, they use NFS...

You would need to unmount the drive on one side, then mount it again on the other side. Then the change should show up. They way you are doing it now - wont work.

I would suggest you rethink your approach by using NFS exports, which would allow what you try to achieve.
E.g. use the disk in system A, export the path via NFS and mount the NFS-export from system B. This can be Read-Write or Read-Only, depending on your need.
yes, that what I was thinking.
Thanks, mate.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!