Problems with File Restore from PBS

noclip

Jul 28, 2024
I have setup PBS as a VM on Proxmox using an external drive.

Restoring full VM's works perfectly, no issues there. But when using file restore it only downloads between 50-250 MB before failing with the following error:
Starting download of file: drive-scsi2.img.fidx/zpool/MainPool/MainPool/Blandet/ISO/TrueNAS-SCALE-24.04.2.iso
reading file extraction stream failed - error reading a body from connection: unexpected EOF during chunk size line

TASK ERROR: file restore task failed: command '/usr/bin/proxmox-file-restore extract '--crypt-mode=none' vm/108/2024-08-25T01:35:03Z 'ZHJpdmUtc2NzaTIuaW1nLmZpZHgvenBvb2wvTWFpblBvb2wvTWFpblBvb2wvQmxhbmRldC9JU08vVHJ1ZU5BUy1TQ0FMRS0yNC4wNC4yLmlzbw==' - --base64 1 --repository backup@pbs!backup@(Server):Backups'
failed: exit code 1

This happens both when using an API token for access or using my backup@pbs user directly.

When running the command directly from the shell I get this error:
-bash: ![EMAIL='backup@proxmoxbackup.gyldenstrand.dk']backup@(Server)[/EMAIL]: event not found

This is because of the missing ' from the command

With ' ' around the repository I get this error:
Error: error building client for repository backup@pbs![EMAIL='backup@proxmoxbackup.gyldenstrand.dk']backup@(Server)[/EMAIL]:443:Backups - API token secret must be provided!

That I can fix in the Shell with
export PBS_PASSWORD='(API TOKEN SECRET)'

After all that when running the command like this:
/usr/bin/proxmox-file-restore extract '--crypt-mode=none' vm/108/2024-08-25T01:35:03Z 'ZHJpdmUtc2NzaTIuaW1nLmZpZHgvenBvb2wvTWFpblBvb2wvTWFpblBvb2wvQmxhbmRldC9JU08vVHJ1ZU5BUy1TQ0FMRS0yNC4wNC4yLmlzbw==' - --base64 1 --repository 'backup@pbs!backup@(Server):Backups'

The file contents is dumped in the Shell, I don't know if it's the whole file though.

After all that I still get the same error as I started with:
Starting download of file: drive-scsi2.img.fidx/zpool/MainPool/MainPool/Blandet/Gustav/2001.A.Space.Odyssey.1968.2160p.4K.BluRay.x265.10bit.AAC5.1-[YTS.MX].mkv
reading file extraction stream failed - error reading a body from connection: unexpected EOF during chunk size line
TASK ERROR: file restore task failed: command '/usr/bin/proxmox-file-restore extract '--crypt-mode=none' vm/108/2024-08-25T01:35:03Z ZHJpdmUtc2NzaTIuaW1nLmZpZHgvenBvb2wvTWFpblBvb2wvTWFpblBvb2wvQmxhbmRldC9HdXN0YXYvMjAwMS5BLlNwYWNlLk9keXNzZXkuMTk2OC4yMTYwcC40Sy5CbHVSYXkueDI2NS4xMGJpdC5BQUM1LjEtW1lUUy5NWF0ubWt2 - --base64 1 --repository backup@pbs!(Server):443:Backups'
failed: exit code 1

Any idea what the issue is?

Last edited:
I have setup PBS as a VM on Proxmox using an external drive.

Restoring full VM's works perfectly, no issues there. But when using file restore it only downloads between 50-250 MB before failing with the following error:
Starting download of file: drive-scsi2.img.fidx/zpool/MainPool/MainPool/Blandet/ISO/TrueNAS-SCALE-24.04.2.iso
TASK ERROR: file restore task failed: command '/usr/bin/proxmox-file-restore extract '--crypt-mode=none' vm/108/2024-08-25T01:35:03Z 'ZHJpdmUtc2NzaTIuaW1nLmZpZHgvenBvb2wvTWFpblBvb2wvTWFpblBvb2wvQmxhbmRldC9JU08vVHJ1ZU5BUy1TQ0FMRS0yNC4wNC4yLmlzbw==' - --base64 1 --repository backup@pbs!backup@(Server):Backups' failed: exit code 1

This happens both when using an API token for access or using my backup@pbs user directly.

When running the command directly from the shell I get this error:
-bash: !backup@proxmoxbackup.gyldenstrand.dk: event not found

This is because of the missing ' from the command

With ' ' around the repository I get this error:
Error: error building client for repository backup@pbs!backup@proxmoxbackup.gyldenstrand.dk:443:Backups - API token secret must be provided!

That I can fix in the Shell with
export PBS_PASSWORD='(API TOKEN SECRET)'

After all that when running the command like this:
/usr/bin/proxmox-file-restore extract '--crypt-mode=none' vm/108/2024-08-25T01:35:03Z 'ZHJpdmUtc2NzaTIuaW1nLmZpZHgvenBvb2wvTWFpblBvb2wvTWFpblBvb2wvQmxhbmRldC9JU08vVHJ1ZU5BUy1TQ0FMRS0yNC4wNC4yLmlzbw==' - --base64 1 --repository 'backup@pbs!backup@(Server):Backups'

The file contents is dumped in the Shell, I don't know if it's the whole file though.

After all that I still get the same error as I started with:
Starting download of file: drive-scsi2.img.fidx/zpool/MainPool/MainPool/Blandet/Gustav/2001.A.Space.Odyssey.1968.2160p.4K.BluRay.x265.10bit.AAC5.1-[YTS.MX].mkv
TASK ERROR: file restore task failed: command '/usr/bin/proxmox-file-restore extract '--crypt-mode=none' vm/108/2024-08-25T01:35:03Z ZHJpdmUtc2NzaTIuaW1nLmZpZHgvenBvb2wvTWFpblBvb2wvTWFpblBvb2wvQmxhbmRldC9HdXN0YXYvMjAwMS5BLlNwYWNlLk9keXNzZXkuMTk2OC4yMTYwcC40Sy5CbHVSYXkueDI2NS4xMGJpdC5BQUM1LjEtW1lUUy5NWF0ubWt2 - --base64 1 --repository backup@pbs!backup@proxmoxbackup.gyldenstrand.dk:443:Backups' failed: exit code 1

Any idea what the issue is?
Hi,
please post the outputs in code tags, that makes it a lot easier to read. Please check for errors in the systemd journal on the Proxmox Backup Server and for the single file restore log file located on the Proxmox VE host under /var/log/proxmox-backup/file-restore/. Does this happen only with this file or for other files as well?

Hi,

I added the code tags.

Journalctl output is attached

The logs for single file restore are somewhat the same in output from what I gathered.

This happens for all files, though I can usually download file under 80MB as they finish before the download stops.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Attachments

• JournalctlOutput.txt
    59.3 KB · Views: 0
  • qemu.log
    5 KB · Views: 0
  • qemu.log.1.log
    4.9 KB · Views: 0
  • qemu.log.2.log
    6 KB · Views: 0
  • qemu.log.3.log
  • qemu.log.4.log
    4.9 KB · Views: 0
  • qemu.log.5.log
    4.5 KB · Views: 0
  • qemu.log.6.log
  • qemu.log.7.log
    5.9 KB · Views: 0
  • qemu.log.8.log
    8.4 KB · Views: 0

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!