Problems with bridging

puertorico

Renowned Member
Mar 30, 2014
I am having trouble with a virtual firewall setup after getting a new Internet provider.
this is not a production setup.

i have been running different firewall product like pfsense/ipfire as virtual firewalls on proxmox with really good performance without any issues for a long time. i have a HP server with proxmox 3.4 installed
there is 6 nics installed in this server. 2 onboard + a quad nicadapter from hp.

it is configured like this: there is 2 bridges vmbr1 and vmbr0

vmbr0 is connected to:
eth1 eth2 eth3 eth4 eth5 these interfaces act like a switch

vmbr1 is connected to:
eth0 is connected to a vdsl+ modem

The virtual firewall has two nics one connected to vmbr0 and one connected to vmbr0
with this setup i get an ip from the modem via vmbr1 and there is created a local network on vmbr0 with dhcp dns etc.

the problem started when i got a new Internetprovider and instead of a modem i got a mediaconverter.(fibre to rj45) if i connect the rj45 cable to a pc/server without the bridge in the middle i works flawlessly and i get an ip/dns etc.

but when i connect it to proxmox on eth0 through vmbr1 something happens and the link automatically shuts down.after 5 min it will come online again for 2 seconds. And then shutdown again.

iam sure its some kind of link detection that shuts it down because it can't communicate over the vmbr interface. I have investigated in some setting with multi-cast and stp on the bridge but i can't figure it out. i have linked to a dump from wireshark on googledrive
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9TV7Mcg4ak9Q2h5aFJ2ak82UHM

maybe someone here got an idea. Help would be greatly appreciated :)

Last edited:
the problem started when i got a new Internetprovider and instead of a modem i got a mediaconverter.(fibre to rj45) if i connect the rj45 cable to a pc/server without the bridge in the middle i works flawlessly and i get an ip/dns etc.

but when i connect it to proxmox on eth0 through vmbr1 something happens and the link automatically shuts down.after 5 min it will come online again for 2 seconds. And then shutdown again.

iam sure its some kind of link detection that shuts it down because it can't communicate over the vmbr interface.

Most probable: the mediaconverter does not accept more than one MAC connected to one port; that means connection which switches - regardless physical ones or logical ones, i.e. bridges - not possible.

Most probable: the mediaconverter does not accept more than one MAC connected to one port; that means connection which switches - regardless physical ones or logical ones, i.e. bridges - not possible.

Something like this. Its likely your new ISP uses a MAC ACL and some sort of RADIUS auth that only allows a certain mac to be presented on the WAN side.

You could be right about the maximum numbers of mac's since its only when i Connect it to a bridge. even on a laptop it work directly attached to the wan. if i setup a regular linux bridge on my laptop in between the connection is also dropped.
i am sure it's not the address because i have a another mediaconverter that works, i have tried 2 other routers, a Cisco and one from Ubiquity with no problems. the firewall is running now on dedicated hardware just without the bridge, connected directly to eth0

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!