Problems installing Proxmox 4.4 on Xeon e3-1245 v5 with c236 chipset

Feb 25, 2017
Hi all,

I am trying to install Proxmox on a Xeon e3-1245 v5 inserted into a supermicro X11SAE-M motherboard with the intel c236 chipset.

When installing from USB then the installation exist with an installation aborted message.

Prior to that message I see the following message:

modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'i915_bpo': Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmseg)

After the: "Installing additional hardware drivers" message I see:

[ 8.111354] snd_hda_intel 000:00:1f:3: failed to add i915_bpo component master (-19)

So what is wrong. To me it seems like the 4.4 kernel is having problems with the sound driver of the c236 chipset or something similar. I would be okay if I could just disable the problematic module and then move on with the install as I do not need sound at all (It is going to be running as a headless server).

Any inputs of how to either fix this or disable/blacklist the problematic module so it is not loaded?

UPDATE: Ubuntu 16.04 with the 4.8 kernel installs just fine. Is there anyway I can run the installer using a newer kernel?

Thanks, JSA

Last edited:
I re-created a USB drive and then booted this time via UEFI and it just worked. It came up with the same error message but instead of exiting then it continued and I was able to complete the install without the blacklisting etc.

I have no idea why it suddenly was able to continue but thanks for the help!

/JSA

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!