Problem with LVM thin pool: read failed after 0 of 4096 at 0: Input/output error

Discussion in 'Proxmox VE: Installation and configuration' started by kristian.kirilov, Nov 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. kristian.kirilov

kristian.kirilov New Member

Hello,

I'm trying to migrate my existing KVM images to Proxmox KVM virtual machine. I have to do that for my existing LXC containers. The storage i prefer to use is LVM thin pool, because this storage support live snapshot of all types of VM's - KVM or LXC based.

For the migration purpose i'm follow these steps:

1. I create new VM to the LVM thin pool - this creates new logical volume for me.
    2. I use dd command to copy the data from my existing VM image to the newly created lvm volume.

The problem is very strange because i have success with first vm, but when i try to another i got the I/O error.
    See some technical info here:

http://pastebin.com/wxLyk6iE

So when i'm in this situation i have to reboot the server, then use lvconvert --repair Root-VG/lvmthin, then use lvchange -a y Root-VG/lvmthin, and the logical volumes on the pool is also corrupted - data or metadata column is shown as 0. I have to use dd again to import the data's to the volumes.

Can somebody help me with this?

2. seventh

seventh New Member

#2 seventh, Nov 17, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  3. kristian.kirilov

kristian.kirilov New Member

Thanks a lot, i have tuned my lvm.conf to use thinpool auto extend with 80% threshold, and 20% to extend the logical volume when it was full.
    Now everything is working fine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice