Problem setting up cluster across two servers

Don Daniello

Jan 28, 2012
Hello,
I have came across another problem, one of very few we had with Proxmox so far ;)

We want to setup a cluster and we do it with the use of VPN. It's not exactly as in the ned's tutorial you link on the wiki because the VPN is exclusively for the communication between nodes and everything runs on public interfaces as usual.
Yes, multicast is confirmed to work correctly.

asmping 224.0.2.1 10.11.12.10asmping joined (S,G) = (*,224.0.2.234)
pinging 10.11.12.10 from 10.11.12.1
unicast from 10.11.12.10, seq=1 dist=0 time=34.663 ms
unicast from 10.11.12.10, seq=2 dist=0 time=34.724 ms
multicast from 10.11.12.10, seq=2 dist=0 time=69.062 ms
unicast from 10.11.12.10, seq=3 dist=0 time=34.919 ms
multicast from 10.11.12.10, seq=3 dist=0 time=69.344 ms

Creating cluster went fine, the problem is when I try to add second node to the cluster.
The problem is as follows:
root@hn2:~# pvecm add 10.11.12.1 -force
root@10.11.12.1's password:
Permission denied (publickey,password).
unable to add node: command failed (ssh 10.11.12.1 -o BatchMode=yes pvecm addnode hn2 --force 1)
When it asks for password I provide the correct password and it works fine, the problem is when it tries to execute the command above.

Do you have any idea what might have gone wrong?

We also observed that problem here. Restart pve-cluster on first node helps usually:

# /etc/init.de/pve-cluster restart

Thanks for the info, noone else mentioned that it's even possible.
However, I don't think that multicast/VPN was the problem here. I reconfigured everything for unicast and I still get exactly same error as above. I guess it has something to do with SSH tunnel being set up and not the communication.

Thanks for the info, noone else mentioned that it's even possible.
However, I don't think that multicast/VPN was the problem here. I reconfigured everything for unicast and I still get exactly same error as above. I guess it has something to do with SSH tunnel being set up and not the communication.

Clustering is not always that trivial but properly configured it works well. We offer help in the forum as good as possible but generally we recommend to go for a support subscription so we can work directly to get system up and running.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!