[SOLVED] Private linux bridge side effect

ph0x

Renowned Member
Jul 5, 2020
/dev/null
Hey there!
I ran into a quirk, that I could have foreseen, but I still have to ask for input, in case I'm missing something.
I have three VMs that share vmbr0 as net0 and a private bridge (vmbr12) as net1. No other VM nor the Proxmox nodes use that bridge, and also the router does not know of the subnet that goes over it.
A few days ago I migrated one of the machines to another node thinking that the identical vmbr12 definition will make Proxmox automagically route the traffic to the correct destination. But it didn't.
It's quite obvious, how should one node know where to route the traffic on vmbr12? But since the three VMs are in HA state I have to find a solution for that.
So apart from creating a routed VLAN that my pfSense handles, what other options could there be?

Best regards

Last edited:
Reactions: catha1201
So apart from creating a routed VLAN that my pfSense handles, what other options could there be?
having a VLAN interface on your physical network and using that as bridge port of the vmbr21 should help. Your switch needs to allow that VLAN as tagged vlan on the ports where the nodes are connected. I don't see why this needs to be routed via a firewall/router.

So assuming that the physical NIC is eno1, you could create either a eno1.<vlan> interface
Code:
auto eno1.21
iface eno1.21 inet manual
#vmbr21 between nodes

or if you have ifupdown2 installed:

Code:
auto internal
iface internal inet manual
    vlan-id 21
    vlan-raw-device eno1
#vmbr21 between nodes

and use "internal" as the bridge port for vmbr21.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!