pop relay

Just to clarify, if I put proxmox in front of my mail server, but still need users to be able to relay mail (pop3 from outside the office). How would I set that up? i was thinking I would create a generic account in proxmox for audit, and then use that for sending mail.

Since the users are outside, like at home, etc I cant add ip's. I was thinking I could open port 26 or some random port and use it but then my smtp is open to the internet again even though its on a different port.

Thanks for your input

Hi,

Just to clarify, if I put proxmox in front of my mail server, but still need users to be able to relay mail (pop3 from outside the office). How would I set that up? i was thinking I would create a generic account in proxmox for audit, and then use that for sending mail.

no, local users are justs for accessing the web interface, no for authentication.

Since the users are outside, like at home, etc I cant add ip's. I was thinking I could open port 26 or some random port and use it but then my smtp is open to the internet again even though its on a different port.
Thanks for your input
you should only open smtp for authenticated users, so this is ok in my opinion.

What Im trying to see is if the user is outside, and pointing to proxmox to relay smtp (since its answering) how would that user authenticate? I thought about using a different port but people with devices like iphones, Windows Mobile who currently can send/recv mail on their devices would not be able to send as the port is not configurable on the device.

What Im trying to see is if the user is outside, and pointing to proxmox to relay smtp (since its answering) how would that user authenticate? I thought about using a different port but people with devices like iphones, Windows Mobile who currently can send/recv mail on their devices would not be able to send as the port is not configurable on the device.

hi,
if you cannot use another port, use another IP. users cannot be authenticated on Proxmox.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!