[SOLVED] Poor networking performance

mackhax0r

Renowned Member
Jul 2, 2015
Hello!

I am getting very poor networking performance under OpenVZ. My setup looks like this:

|pfsense|
XXXX|XXXX
VLAN1 | VLAN2
SRV1 | SRV2

For pfsense, I am using three virtio network adapters:

net0: virtio bridge=vmbr0
net1: virtio bridge=vmbr1
net2: virtio bridge=vmbr1

On the container, I am using:
Network Device (VETH0)
BRIDGE: VMBR1
VLAN TAG:1
No firewall

The operating system is the last debian min.

Whenever I download a file (apt-get upgrade, etc) I download at a MAX of 20KBps. One thing to note, on the server that is not behind pfsense I download at over 10MBps. This server is using venet, not veth. I can't seem to trace down whether it is related to pfsense, or a configuration issue with openvz.

I have two hardware nodes that experience the same issue. Max of 20KBps. I am getting a feeling that this is related more to pfsense then proxmox/openvz. I will continue testing this tomorrow.

Any suggestions are welcome in the meantime :)

Last edited:
Try in pfSense: "Disable hardware checksum offload" (System -> Advanced -> Networking) and reboot pfSense. I had the same performance issue (and download FROM INSIDE pfSense was fine).
Regards
Marco Menardi

Try in pfSense: "Disable hardware checksum offload" (System -> Advanced -> Networking) and reboot pfSense. I had the same performance issue (and download FROM INSIDE pfSense was fine).
Regards
Marco Menardi

Wow! That fixed it! Thanks! You saved me a lot of hassle, glad it was something simple.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!