Poll: Ceph vs NAS (NFS) vs ZFS over iSCSI for VM Storage

joshin

Renowned Member
Jul 23, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Question for the hive mind.

I have 6x 960GB Samsung SSD (853t & pm963) drives 'left over' from an upgrade to bigger drives, and wish to use them for shared storage of fairly low I/O virtual machines.
1) All 6 Drives on NFS share from a FreeNAS (or similar dedicated server) with 96GB RAM + 2x 10GbE
2) A Ceph install with 5 drives - 1 per Proxmox server
3) A Proxmox server with all 6 drives attached and it serving ZFS over iSCSI - same 2x 10GbE networking
4) ?

What do you all think?

Hi,

2) A Ceph install with 5 drives - 1 per Proxmox server
You need at minimum 3 Server an 9 Disk at total. So I would say this is no option.
1) All 6 Drives on NFS share from a FreeNAS (or similar dedicated server) with 96GB RAM + 2x 10GbE
Is ok but and less complex
3) A Proxmox server with all 6 drives attached and it serving ZFS over iSCSI - same 2x 10GbE networking
Is complex but more performance.

Thanks @wolfgang.

For Ceph:
I think you're mistaken on the minimum number of OSDs for Ceph. Nine might be the minimum number to get a decently performing pool of spinning rust, but so far as I know, you can make a single OSD an available pool (without replication).
And it was a bit subtle, but I did say I'd have 5 servers with OSDs - three also acting as monitors.

Does that change your opinion?

Sure, you can use one OSD per server, but a good starting point is the 3x hosts + 3 OSDs/host. Also you need to think about recovery of a single disk or whole host, once you grow your cluster, to not fill up the remaining OSDs.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!