Poll best virtio drivers for Windows

mgiammarco

Feb 18, 2010
Hello,
I have several (licensed) installations of Proxmox.
I run several windows versions vm on them.
Unfortunately I have problems with Windows 2008 (R2): bluescreens, crashes, and so on.
I would like here to collect experience of stablest virtio drivers for windows 2008.

Can you help me?
Thanks,
Mario

I use latest .141 virtio SCSI and network driver on 2008r2 and 2012r2. No problems at all on Dell r420.

We've been running 0.1.126 for the last year without problems. There were recommendations to upgrade VirtIO drivers to 0.1.141 for users experiencing BSOD (blue screen of death) errors with Windows 2012r2/2016 on PVE 5.1 where the system displays 'Critical Structure Corruption' but this problem only appears to affect certain hardware combinations.

The latest stable release is currently 0.1.141 so I've downloaded it and will update certain hosts to ascertain stability prior to rolling it out across the board...

PS: We run 3 PVE 5.1 + Ceph Luminous clusters where guests run with VirtIO SCSI, KRBD. Two of these clusters have not been affected by the BSOD issue:
Intel Wildcat Pass servers with E5-2640v3/E5-2640v4 CPUs, so running guest CPUs as 'Haswell-noTSX'
Dell R420 servers with E5-2430L CPUs, so running guest CPUs as 'SandyBridge'

Affected cluster, which is stable after downgrading to pve-kernel-4.10.17-5-pve_4.10.17-25_amd64.deb:
HP ProLiant DL380 G7 with E5506 and X5650 CPUs, so running guest CPUs as 'Nehalem'

Even we are facing this issue with a few VM running Server 2016. I thought it might be a windows issue, but since we have company, now I am sure its a driver issue.

Which version to use with PROXMOX 5.1 (Licensed Enterprise repo)

Both Windows 2016 and Windows 2012 R2 servers are crashing. Using Driver 0.1.126.

Running: proxmox-ve: 5.1-27 (running kernel: 4.13.8-1-pve)

Proxmox no subscription yesterday updated. Windows all security patches applied.

Both Windows 2016 and Windows 2012 R2 servers are crashing. Using Driver 0.1.126.

Running: proxmox-ve: 5.1-27 (running kernel: 4.13.8-1-pve)

Proxmox no subscription yesterday updated. Windows all security patches applied.

Your problem is the kernel, upgrade to latest, including the fix. (uploaded today, 4.13.8-2-pve)

I add also this problem. I use proxmox backups with snapshot. At the end of a backup the windows 2008vm starts a shutdown/reboot and it hangs.
So two problems here:
1) why the backup triggers a shutdown/reboot?
2) why windows hangs?

I add also this problem. I use proxmox backups with snapshot. At the end of a backup the windows 2008vm starts a shutdown/reboot and it hangs.
So two problems here:
1) why the backup triggers a shutdown/reboot?
2) why windows hangs?

Please do not hijack threads. Topic here is: "Poll best virtio drivers for Windows"

Do you already run kernel latest kernel, 4.13.8-2-pve? If not, install it.

Please do not hijack threads. Topic here is: "Poll best virtio drivers for Windows"
I am sorry I will open a new thread. But, since I am the creator of this thread, I supposed that I can show some of the problems that I have with windows 2008 that probably are correlated with virtio.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!