Plex Media

This would be interesting - but would it be worth it?

If you can just do streaming on the media it could work ok, but if you needed to transcode, you'd have to dedicate a good amount of resources to make it a truly viable option - at that point you might as well just host it on its own box (in my case I host my plex server and plexconnect on a Mac mini and use various NAS boxes to store my actual media)

This would be interesting - but would it be worth it?

If you can just do streaming on the media it could work ok, but if you needed to transcode, you'd have to dedicate a good amount of resources to make it a truly viable option - at that point you might as well just host it on its own box (in my case I host my plex server and plexconnect on a Mac mini and use various NAS boxes to store my actual media)
While I don't see the value really, considering how EASY it is to install and configure PLEX, transcoding in a VM is perfectly sane and fine. I ran my Plex MS in a VM for the last 2 years.

I never said it wasn't fine, the sanity of it could be debated based on the strength of the host box, but I feel it's a waste on a weaker box because of the stress the transcoding can put on the box - especially if you have more than one client requesting video that requires transcoding. I mean if you have a really beefy box where you can set enough cores for the vm that is holding the plex server to still have cores left over for other vms I can see doing it, but if your using a weaker box - what's the point really?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!