Please provide a console/remote/headless install option

nosuch

Jul 5, 2019
After struggling to install Proxmox 6 for a couple of weeks I finally got it up and running last night. During the process I ran into several issues:

1. Installer booting to a blank screen. Required moving the video card to a different PCI slot.
2. Installer GUI cut off on the right side, unable to see the "Agree" button and there appears to be no keyboard shortcut to activate it or move control focus. Resolution was to use a different monitor and change the scaling mode of the monitor from "wide" to "auto".
3. Wired mouse not working even though the laser/tracker is on (cursor is shown but does not respond to movement). Had to use a different mouse.

I think it would be nice to at a minimum have an installer that is CLI, or some way to debug/change the video settings used by the installer. For example if I could have manually set the display resolution, potentially added some NVidia drivers to the image and specified the PCI device to use, or installed from a remote system (my hardware has AMT but not IPMI but I was unable to get that working; separate issue) or just pre-configured the installer so it can run through headless and automatically reboot the machine when done it would have made the process easier.

I think it would be nice to at a minimum have an installer that is CLI, or some way to debug/change the video settings used by the installer. For example if I could have manually set the display resolution, potentially added some NVidia drivers to the image and specified the PCI device to use, or installed from a remote system (my hardware has AMT but not IPMI but I was unable to get that working; separate issue) or just pre-configured the installer so it can run through headless and automatically reboot the machine when done it would have made the process easier.
You can always install Debian and then on-top Proxmox VE. With a pre-seeded Debian and an automation tool, the whole installation can be automated.
https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#_install_proxmox_ve_on_debian

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!