Please Help: Dedicated IP per Windows Guest - Initial Setup

victorchang

Jun 4, 2017
First, I would just like provide my most sincere and utmost level of gratitude and appreciation to the members of this community for the support and assistance they provide to fellow users. It is truly priceless and invaluable.

I am a college sophomore, Networking major, and have a fundamental understanding of what I am reading here.

My Proxmox Virtual Environment 5.0-10/0d270679 web interface is running on:
  • Primary IPv4 Address:: 218.37.77.73
  • Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
  • Gateway: 218.37.77.1
  • (not my real IP don't worry)
I have created three clones of my original windows 7 install an have done absolutely nothing to /etc/network/interfaces

I have these IPv4 addresses remaining that I lease with my dedicated server and I wish to allocate one per virtual machine and additionally contain each Windows VM guest within its own VLAN.
  • IPv4 Address Range: 218.37.77.127-130
Is it possible to give each VM its own dedicated public IPv4 while simultaneously using a (802.3ad)(LACP) bond of eno1 & eno2?, as a bridge port?

Here is my /etc/network/interfaces
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eno1 inet manual

iface eno2 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 218.37.77.73
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 218.37.77.1
bridge_ports eno1
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0
bridge_vlan_aware yes

Obviously this isn't complete, is unfinished, "wrong", etc and isn't anywhere close to what I need for my use case as described above.

Everything I have been taught in my Networking I course aside from a fundamental understanding of computer networking & infrastructure, was related to Windows & VMWare. I have an independent and proficient understanding of linux, and have used proxmox in the past; but this is my first time setting it all up on my own and I'm in a little bit over my head.

I would appreciate it so much if someone could "hold my hand" through this first configuration of my first proxmox installation, I will likely pick up on how to do this myself in the future if I can see this scenario set up correctly first.

Thank you and Best Regards,

Victor Chang

Last edited:
> Is it possible to give each VM its own dedicated public IPv4 while simultaneously using a (802.3ad)(LACP) bond of eno1 & eno2?, as a bridge port?

yes this is possible look at https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-sysadmin.html#_linux_bond
for an example of a bridge using a linux bond as bridge port

make first a working setup without VLANs, you can configure them afterwards

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!