pfSense - VLAN - IP - ISP fiber

CharlesBing

Sep 13, 2021
Hallo,

Our connexion to the the internet will be switched to fiber this week. Our ISP requires VLAN10 and PPPoE and I’m a bit confused.

I’ve installed Proxmox for the first time this weekend, reinstalled pfSense and this works fine.LAN and WAN have physical interfaces on the Proxmox box itself. (NIC‘s mapped to bridges)

I have three questions:

1. In what cases is it recommended to assign an IP address to a networkinterface in Proxmox and in what cases is it better to assign it in the guest VM? The IP addresses are now assigned in pfSense and not in Proxmox.
2. Where should I assign the VLAN10? In Proxmox, in pfSense or in both?
3. It is probably not best practice to install an internetgateway on a virtualised system, but I wonder how unsafe it is. The second machine on the Proxmox-server will be Sophos Firewall.

Thanks

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!