pfSense / OPNsense and OVS issues

BobMccapherey

Apr 25, 2020
Attempting to get CARP and even DHCP working between two OPNsense firewalls. It seems to work reliability when both are on the same node or if I"m using normal Linux bridges. However, when the two instances are on different nodes and OVS is being used, communication does not work properly. I've seen situations where both nodes will be in the BACKUP state. In addition, it seems that connection state also does not reliably sync over the OVS Bridge either.

I have multiple (3+ nodes) running with an OVS bridge for LAN traffic. The OVS Bridges on each node are connected to each other via GRE. The interface config looks similar to:

Code:
auto vmbr2
iface vmbr2 inet manual
    ovs_type OVSBridge
    ovs_mtu 1450
    post-up ovs-vsctl set bridge vmbr2 stp_enable=true
    post-up ovs-vsctl add-port vmbr2 gre0 -- set interface gre0 type=gre options:remote_ip=''a.a.a.a''
    post-up ovs-vsctl add-port vmbr2 gre1 -- set interface gre1 type=gre options:remote_ip=''b.b.b.b''
    post-up ovs-vsctl add-port vmbr2 gre2 -- set interface gre2 type=gre options:remote_ip=''c.c.c.c''
    #post-up ovs-vsctl add-port vmbr2 gre3 -- set interface gre3 type=gre options:remote_ip=''d.d.d.d''

I comment out one of the gre interfaces so that the node does not connect back to itself.

What am I missing so this can work reliably? Running newest Proxmox 6.2. It's almost like forged transmits and broadcast traffic aren't working reliably (sorry if I'm using VMware / vSphere speak as that's what I'm used to).

It seems giving up on OpenVSwitch and switching to the beta SDN/VXLAN implementation fixed all of my issues.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!