Pfsense high cpu load?

allan

Renowned Member
May 6, 2012
Hello, i have been using pfsense 2.01 as virtual firewall for a while but switched back because of high cpu load
compared to the linux/shorewall used before.

I would like to continue using pfsense but it takes 10 times the cpu compared to the linux/shorewall fw. doing the same job. (nat'ing a 100/100 internet feed)

I tried all NIC's but they performed about the same, except for the virtual one that pfsense dont recognize.

At idle pfsense use 5% cpu and when downloading near max it shows 100% cpu usage.

Any hint or tipp to get pfsense cool down?
Thanks in advance

Tried but vm hang on boot. also tried to disable acpi in vm options. same thing, it stop in the middle of boot...

Tried it, same thing. 6-7% cpu on idle, even when no traffic is passing. (actually even when booted and paused at the "Welcome to pfsense!" screen.)

Reinstalled from amd64 and i386 installer, same thing. and i can only convince pfsense to use ide. not scsi or virtio.

Everything is working perfect except this unusual high load that just bugs me.

Perhaps there will be support for virtual drivers in the next release of pfsense, i kind of like it!

Thanks for trying...

How much memory did you assign to pfense?

In my case CPU alternates between 1% and 2.5% with 384MB of RAM (using ide for disk/e1000 for eth's).

512mb, also tested 1024mb no differece, tested both 1 & 2 two cpu, same thing.
using ide and e1000 now but the load remain high even at idle.

sad thing is that i get to like pfsense more and more now...cant seem to let this go.. :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!