pfSense gateway warning packet loss

Ahmet Bas

Aug 3, 2018
Hi,

We installed pfSense installation on one of our Proxmox cluster. Our ProxMox version is
Virtual Environment 5.2-6. After the installation we saw that the gateway of the pfSense monitoring is showing packet loss. From the pfSense installation we are able to ping to the gateway but for some reason we are not able to fix this issue. Below some information which can help

BIOS
Vendor: SeaBIOS
Version: rel-1.11.0-0-g63451fca13-prebuilt.qemu-project.org
Release Date: Tue Apr 1 2014

Version
2.4.3-RELEASE-p1 ( amd64 )
built on Thu May 10 15:02:52 CDT 2018
FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE-p10

CPU Type
QEMU Virtual CPU version 2.5+
2 CPUs: 1 package(s) x 2 core(s)
AES-NI CPU Crypto: NO
Kernel PTI: Enabled

DNS servers

Yes, we did follow the steps as described in the article which you linked. We also restarted the pfSense server after the changes. The gateway is showing packet loss but the connection to that server is without any drops.

Yes, we did follow the steps as described in the article which you linked. We also restarted the pfSense server after the changes. The gateway is showing packet loss but the connection to that server is without any drops.

In general, any gateway has a upper limit for icmp/ping. Maybe is your case(if you test packet loss with icmp/ping)

I see, the test is done with ping/icmp. If you have loss on icmp, but any others connections(tcp/ip) is OK, then this is not a problem.

I see, the test is done with ping/icmp. If you have loss on icmp, but any others connections(tcp/ip) is OK, then this is not a problem.

The problem is that we are seeing a issue in the pfSense monitor. We are not sure if this is related to Proxmox but the packet loss issue should be resolved.

Like I said, any firewall/gateway/what-ever in this days have limit for icmp/sec. Also if in your LAN/WAn do you have a lot a traffic, then is also possible to have some icmp loss!

How do you have this configured at the physical layer?
Are you using pfSense as a secondary firewall or is it connected directly to the modem?

I have virtualized my pfSense install and have a the physical connections from the modem going to the Proxmox node and then they are assigned to pfSense via the VM configuration using their own bridge (I have dual WAN). then I have another connection that goes from the network switch to the Proxmox node that is also assigned to the VM which is my LAN connection. Once I configured pfSense as per the guide I have no packet loss.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!