Permanently lose quroum

Dmitry Panoff

Nov 7, 2012
Donetsk, DPR
Hi, aLL

I have 3 servers in cluster, connected by Nortel BayStack 5510 switch. All servers have 2 NICs, joined in trunk on switch. Multicast is allowed and works. Hardware - servers, switch, connections, power etc. - are OK
Permanently, once a week, maybe once in two weeks, one of the cluster nodes loses quorum. Sometimes all nodes loses quorum. When this happens, first thing to do is:

Code:
service pvestatd stop
service pvedaemon stop
service cman stop
service pve-cluster stop
sleep 3

and start them again:

Code:
service pve-cluster start
service cman start
service pvestatd start
service pvedaemon start
Usually, this helps: nodes find themselves, have quorum and everything goes OK.

But sometimes one of the node (not the same - different one) doesn't get quorum such way. All I have to do is completely reboot "problem" node. During boot process it gets quorum and rejoins to cluster. And everything goes OK till next quorum-lose.
Quorum lose happens during night backups, day work, simple unuse on weekends - no system in this. No errors in log - corosync says about sudden lose quorum.

Tried to stop services, wait several minutes (aproximately like rebooting server) and start'em again - doesn't help.

So, the questions are: why doesn't the simple restart of services work, and complete reboot - do? Do I need restart some additional services, or do some things to get quorum on problem node without rebooting it? 'Cause rebooting node is bad idea...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!