pct has more cpu cores than it should

whyitsderp

Jan 5, 2016
hello folks, just upgraded from 3.4 to 4.1 and everything went rather smoothly. honestly i was expecting a late night but alas, well written directions produce excellent results.. never the less i have some issues specific to some new LXCs migrated from openVZ..

each of the 5 (restored) LXC's i have are configured for 2 CPUs (which i interpret to be cores) but each are actually using all 8 cores of a single CPU.. its very possible i'm just not clear on LXC's interpretation of a CPU or i am clear and there is something wrong that i'm over looking.

also, none of the web gui consoles seems to work with these restored containers, despite the consoles being defined in /etc/inittab for each host.. if you click on console it just says 'loading' with the noVNC logo..

questions, comments, constructive criticism?

each of the 5 (restored) LXC's i have are configured for 2 CPUs (which i interpret to be cores) but each are actually using all 8 cores of a single CPU.. its very possible i'm just not clear on LXC's interpretation of a CPU or i am clear and there is something wrong that i'm over looking.

Hi, Lxc is different from openvz, because we can restrict the real number of cores inside the container.
But if you configure cpulimit=2, you can't use more than 2 cores cputime, even if you see 8 cores.

(For example, you'll be able de reach 8 cores at 25%, or 4cores at 50% or 2cores at 100%.

ahhhh, ok that makes sense. thanks for the clarification on that..

any idea about the console issue ? its not a big deal, i'm sure if i bang my head against it i'll figure it out...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!