PCIe passthrough (IOMMU) randomly not working after run backup job

sinex

Mar 4, 2020
Hi all, I use for backup job "Mode: stop" scenario. All three VMs have pcie passthrough devices - network cards, one of the vm have network card and raid controller. After VM reboot and backup job star, passthrough devices can randomly not work(more often) or work normally. I can’t connect this problem with anything. There are two different motherboards and the same problem is encountered on both. If I restart the virtual machines manually, even repeatedly, I do not encounter such a problem.

For resolving, i shutdown VM, send
echo "1" > /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000\:06\:00.0/remove
echo "1" > /sys/bus/pci/rescan
then starting VM.

My config:
Proxmox 6.1 (latest updates)
CPU - E2136
M/B - Supermicro X11SCM-LN8F
Memory - 32Gb ECC

Reactions: matrix
If I restart the virtual machines manually, even repeatedly, I do not encounter such a problem.
When a restart is triggered inside the VM, it will only reboot the OS, but the KVM process stays the same. With the stop mode for the backup, the KVM process will be a new one every time.

For resolving, i shutdown VM, send
echo "1" > /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000\:06\:00.0/remove
echo "1" > /sys/bus/pci/rescan
then starting VM.
Best use a hookscript to automate this. As it runs on every VM start.
https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-qm.html#_hookscripts

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!