pci passthrought, nvidia, win7: code 43

samontetro

Jun 19, 2012
Grenoble, France
I'm trying to use pci passthrought for an old nvidia GeForce 9300 GE GPU in a win7 VM.
The GPU is detected in the guest os, driver is installed and updated but I still get a code 43 error.
I haven't more detailed information and this peripheral is disabled in the VM

The config is based on the tutorial https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Pci_passthrough

This is my VM config:

Code:
# cat /etc/pve/nodes/proxmost2/qemu-server/101.conf
boot: cdn
bootdisk: virtio0
cores: 4
cpu: Haswell-noTSX
ide1: local:iso/virtio-win-0.1.126.iso,media=cdrom,size=152204K
ide2: cdrom,media=cdrom
memory: 16384
name: wincao1
net0: virtio=86:7D:D8:C1:B6:D9,bridge=vmbr9
numa: 0
ostype: win7
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=b69dd731-b43e-4f69-84da-68d2f772111d
sockets: 1
virtio0: cephstorage:vm-101-disk-1,size=96G
hostpci0: 04:00.0

Proxmox VE is 4.4-12

Any suggestion is welcome, my aim is to test a CAO application speedup with a GPU in the win7 VM before buying a more powerfull GPU if it works.

Patrick

Last edited:
Hi,

you have not set

machine: q35

also uefi must be use as bios type

Thanks for your reply Wolfgang,
I have not understood this was requested in the last sections of the tutorial....
If I set the BIOS to UEFI (the VM was installed with default Bios settings) does it mean I must reinstall the VM ?
I had set "machine: q35" (without understanding what it was meaning) and the VM was not booting anymore, may be because of the BIOS settings.
Moreover with x-vga=on the console was not working anymore so I removed this config.
I check quikly (one user is remotely testing the application in this VM at this time)

Patrick

If I set the BIOS to UEFI (the VM was installed with default Bios settings) does it mean I must reinstall the VM ?
AFIK you have to install Windows new. May be there is a hack but I'm not a Win user.

machine: q35"
This is a an other HW design what is required for pass-through

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!